Multiport valve SM2-PP2 leaking from bottom. HELP!

Adding chemicals, vacuuming, backwashing,
brushing, filter care, filter cleaning, replacing
worn or broken pool parts
paolotvl
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby paolotvl » Fri 17 Aug, 2012 21:25

Hello everybody,

I just joined this forum while, as usual, I was trying to figure out how to fix a problem with my pool. Just to give you a background on the situation:

1- Seven hours ago was the very first time I took a look at my swimming pool system. We bought his house 2 yrs ago and this is the first pool I have ever had. We pay a service to take care of it.
2- #1 above doesn't mean I am not handy: I can rebuild an engine blind folded and I have a workshop in my garage with every possible tool you can think of.
3- Today my wife told me the pool service people told her we need to replace a complete multiport valve that is leaking and cannot be repaired and they asked her $420.

Since I took a few days off I thought I could look into it (plus, $420...). So I did. The valve only had a worn out label saying "Valve Model SM2-PP..". I'm pretty sure it is a PP2 (assuming the 2 refers to the PVC piping OD size, 2 inches. Not sur ifI it is a pentair or a praher (or another brand, maybe they are all interchangeable).

After some reading I was confident I needed to invest about $30-40 in a spider gasket and o'rings. The problem is that, after looking at the leak carefully I realized the water is not leaking from the top, but right from the center of the bottom of the valve casing. I found a small hole I could plug with my finger stopping the leak. I thought it was probably a missing plug, but all the part diagrams I found do not show any plug or hole or screw going at the center of the bottom of the casing.

Any idea? Should I replace the body? Or should I go ahead and replace the whole valve?? I took some pictures, I need to see if I can post them here.

You help/suggestions are very much appreciated, I need to take care of his problem tomorrow.

Thank you

paolotvl
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby paolotvl » Fri 17 Aug, 2012 21:39

This the best picture I could take: the leak is coming from that perfectly round hole in the center....too perfect to be a crack, right??

Dagman57

Re: Multiport valve SM2-PP2 leaking from bottom. HELP!

Postby Dagman57 » Tue 19 Jul, 2016 09:30

From my experience you may have a crack . It may look like the water is coming from that small hole but you would be surprised. The only real way I can think of to know for sure is to remove the top and the rest of the interior of the valve. Get a diagram on line from Pentair first and take pictures as you remove the parts. If there is a crack usually you have to replace it. But I have used epoxies in the past to fix cracks. Best of luck.
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: Multiport valve SM2-PP2 leaking from bottom. HELP!

Postby Denniswiseman » Wed 20 Jul, 2016 04:53

I don't know if this helps but worth looking at http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/110614-Pentair-Multiport-Problems

Return to “Routine Pool Cleaning & Maintenance”