worn or broken pool parts
SFBayArea
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast
My Pool: 45' rectangular pool with spa for 6

Robotic pool cleaner question

Postby SFBayArea » Mon 17 Jun, 2013 14:12

Hi guys,

I am building my pool and hope to have it done in the next three to four weeks. In my contract PB provides me with the pool cleaner. I understand that most likely it will be something very cheap. Hence, I was thinking maybe I substitute the cheap model for a higher end and pay little extra for it instead of replacing cheap model altogether later on.
However, first and foremost I want to understand what those robotic cleaners do? Do they simply go around and suck dirt from the bottom of the pool?
Is there models that actually scrub with brush surface of the pool as they go through the cleaning process?
I have two trees growing nearby, so I assume I will have leaves on the pool all the time.
What model would you suggest?

Thanks.

TSH Tech

Postby TSH Tech » Tue 18 Jun, 2013 00:56

Well, a automatic pool cleaner depends on what you want out of it. They're all different, have various limitations but ultimately, you will need to decide which features are going to work for you and the type of landscape surroundings that will make their way into the pool. Throughout the years I've seen many cleaners, but I'll just give you the best all around and reliable cleaners.

Robotics
The robotics are a manual automatic type of cleaner for the pool, manual in the sense that you physically have to throw it in the pool. The automatic part is letting it do it's cleaning cycle, then pull it out of the pool, clean the internal filter and then put it back in the storage.
The way it cleans is an internal blade fan creates the suction for dirt, sand and loose leaves. All of the debris gets trapped inside its internal filter. Surface scrubbing is done by the rollers that are soft rubber blades giving that scrubbing action on the surface.
The only negative aspect of the robotics is you physically have to put it in the pool every time and then take it out when it's done. The other is they do have many moving parts that break giving marginal reliability. You may want to weigh how advantageous a robotic will be with your schedule and free time to clean the pool yourself.

Automatic pool cleaners
Booster pump type(pressure side) -
Polaris 3900 - This is one of the best booster type cleaners. Spend the money. Get it. Polaris reliability is very high. You mentioned trees nearby, the catch bag on this cleaner will contain even even the largest of Fruitless Mulberry leaves that happen to fall into the pool as well as sand. The tail provides a good amount of surface scrubbing if that feature is important to your criteria. The only thing the Polaris will not pick up is very fine silt, which tends to blow past the bag. Polaris does a good job of scaling the walls and a best effort on climbing steps. No pool sweep will ever truly get the steps, but Polaris gets an "A" for effort.

Vacuum Type(suction side) -
Poolvergnuegen "The Pool Cleaner" - The most reliable vacuum type cleaner I've even seen in my years as a pool tech. It will vacuum fairly good sized leaves and pull soil, sand from the surface minimizing some brushing of the pool. It climbs walls good and leaves the pool surface spotless. Of the vacuum line, this one is virtually bulletproof.

Baracuda MX8 - The new updated versions as of late March 2013 with the gear fix are showing good results. What I can say about this cleaner is if surface scrubbing is very important to you, this cleaner is right up your alley. I have not had to brush pools with this cleaner, with the small exception of steps and sit-outs. The bottom cyclone suction turbines do an amazing job of cleaning the surface, so good in fact, that I'm seeing pool plaster sand inside the filter systems as I tear them down for cleaning. It pulls loose rocks out of Pebbletech/Pebblesheen finishes! This cleaner is the best wall climber of all time, I've never seen any cleaner scrub the walls as good as the MX8. Since its release, this cleaner got a shaky start out of the gate with some gear bugs, made some people upset, but since the newer fixed versions have been released, this cleaner is showing some amazing results. I get a good vibe with this one based on what I've experienced with it.

If I did not list any other pool cleaner by name, don't buy it. They're simply junk.
SFBayArea
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby SFBayArea » Tue 18 Jun, 2013 11:10

Wow! Super writ up! THANK YOU TSH!.

It looks like automatic cleaner is the winner.
czechmate
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: 16 x 32 gunite21000 gal., Diamond Brite Blue, Swimquip XL pump, DE36

Postby czechmate » Wed 19 Jun, 2013 07:38

Polaris is still the king. It is obvious by its price.
Look up the local craigslist. Many pool repairman replace it for their customers and then refurbish and sell the used one. I bought Polaris 280 late model, like that, in super nice condition for 150 bucks, complete. Than from the same guy I bought later a brand name booster pump, like new, for 120 dollars.
The motto is: Anybody can pay retail!!
SFBayArea
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby SFBayArea » Wed 19 Jun, 2013 10:25

czechmate wrote:Polaris is still the king. It is obvious by its price.
Look up the local craigslist. Many pool repairman replace it for their customers and then refurbish and sell the used one. I bought Polaris 280 late model, like that, in super nice condition for 150 bucks, complete. Than from the same guy I bought later a brand name booster pump, like new, for 120 dollars.
The motto is: Anybody can pay retail!!

I've looked up on the Amazon and Polaris 280 has much better reviews comparing to the higher models.
Do I need a separate pump for the Polaris? Does Polaris 280 has a brush to brush the plaster?
CGPoolman
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro

Postby CGPoolman » Wed 19 Jun, 2013 12:19

Any of the polaris cleaners that run off pressure should have the booster pump to get the best performance out of the cleaner. That being said - If this was already covered, I apologize for missing it, but If you want to go with the pressure cleaner - I think you need to have a dedicated return line in the pool for this. I could be wrong but most pools I see with a Polaris cleaner have a special return jet in the pool that is strictly for the cleaner. This allows the to adjust the flow pressure between the normal pool returns and the cleaner.

Suction cleaners can plug right into the skimmer, so a dedicated line is not necessary. Most pools have a valve by the pump that allows you to control suction power between the skimmer and drain to get the best performance out of the cleaner.

-CG
paulbest
Swimming Pool Wizard
Swimming Pool Wizard

Re: Robotic pool cleaner question

Postby paulbest » Wed 20 Jul, 2016 23:24

Robotic pool cleaner gives the pool owner the luxury of having a machine to do the pool cleaning for you without having to do much of manual labor.

It is under the category of "automatic pool cleaner." Although, the vast difference is that automatic vacuum cleaners are still needed to be monitored and maneuvered time after time and it really irks a lot of pool owners when all they want is the freedom to clean their pool.

When we speak of robot pool cleaners, the more expensive ones do not necessarily mean they are better. We need to fit your pool qualifications to the pool cleaners' features.

Of course, the more features the robot cleaner possess, the more costly it is. There are a lot of brands that brushes, scrubs, and vacuums. Aquabot has also various robot cleaners for different pool classifications.

Hope this helps, buddy.
sebastian shaw

Postby sebastian shaw » Thu 23 Nov, 2017 15:17

If you really need a suggest, then I think you have thought about seeing other options. To do so, I think first you have to take a look at the best pool vacuum reviews to simply discover all of the features only your case will need.
Poolcovers
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast
My Pool: we designs and manufactures fixed automatic retractable enclosures for pools, patios and outdoor spaces.

Postby Poolcovers » Wed 28 Feb, 2018 07:48

I agree with Czechmate. Polaris 280 pressure cleaner will ensure a thorough cleaning every time. Their powerful cleaning action sweeps, scrubs and vacuums the floors and walls of even the most difficult to clean swimming pools. It’s powered by dual vacuum jets and has an integrated booster pump that works simultaneously to clean an average-sized swimming pool in less than 3 hours.
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Postby Teapot » Wed 28 Feb, 2018 15:43

If the flow of the water in the pool good and also the to the skimmers and the filtration runs constantly there is very little need for these toys, that's why I was able to sell mine.
drowned_drone
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 4x5x2, ceramic/tile type w/ gliding surface

Postby drowned_drone » Mon 01 Oct, 2018 22:29

as for my pool, Eufy RoboVac 11 works brilliantly for me, this model easily copes with many types of surfaces, starting from carpets and ending with smooth and sliding tiles!
my article dedicated to hot tubs!
elissabsmith
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: My pool size is 10*20 foot.
Square in shape.

Postby elissabsmith » Wed 09 Jan, 2019 06:11

I simply love to swim. After all, it’s a traditional summertime activity that’s safe for the family. I love spending time with my family in the pool.
But like all artificial structures, pools get dirty with broad use. Soon, all the debris and synthetic substances accumulate. The water becomes unhealthy and the circulation system is affected.
Cleaning the pool manually is tiresome and time-consuming. Fortunately, now there are automatic pool cleaners available in the market. These machines do basically everything for you so you can have more time for relaxation.
Personally, I would recommend “Dolphin Nautilus CC plus” for cleaning the pools.
As it has:
• Two scrubbing brushes make quick work of algae and dirt
• Two-year cover parts and labor warranty
• You can use the timer to have the cleaner follow a two-hour cleaning cycle for a week
• Two sets of filter cartridges ensure that both fine and large debris are caught
• Swivel cable is designed to spin around the pool without getting entangled
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Postby Teapot » Wed 09 Jan, 2019 18:02

Selling dolphin pool cleaners are we?
We did a test, and it was quicker to clean manually and a better result. By the time you have un packed then cleaned the bag and put away the manual cleaning had been finished for 10mins easily. Then the purchase cost and spare parts.

I was able to sell my robot and went back to manual cleaning. That said if you get the water flow and filtration correct (that's correct and not just working) the pool is cleaner anyway.

Return to “Routine Pool Cleaning & Maintenance”