No Fixin' a Purex Triton FNS Plus Filter Vessel eh ~ : ?

Adding chemicals, vacuuming, backwashing,
brushing, filter care, filter cleaning, replacing
worn or broken pool parts
MAD JAX
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 22k. gal. "Cement Pond" intergrated w/450 gal. Spa-Waterfall, FNSP-48 D.E. Filter, Raypak 390k. btu propane-heat, Polaris 360

Postby MAD JAX » Thu 11 Jul, 2013 19:18

Hey! Glad to join the forum ~ I'm looking forward to improving My ability to keep My pool CRYSTAL CLEAR CLEAN at all times, as well as sharing whatever knowledge and experiences I can with others here, thank You.

That said, earlier today after having "Shocked" and brushed the pool and spa I noticed the pressure gauge reading on My Purex Triton FNS Plus (FNSP-48) had climbed another 4 lbs. to just below 30 psi...

So I figured I'd let it run another hour or so before I back-flushed and replenish the D.E....only to hear My son Yell about an hour later "HEY! Come quick!! The pool filter is squirting water all-over the yard right now!!!"

I found the lower half of the Filter Vessel now has a small vertical split in it about two inches or so long and about that far below the where the Band-strap goes around the bolster that holds it together...

I back-flushed, the pressure dropped 9 lbs. to where it is "Fresh" ~ and it stopped leaking...I've taken it apart and it appears as though a reinforced "Patch" would at least get-me-by until I can source one on-line.

Family-guests arrive tomorrow evening, and of-course the POOL needs to be CHERRY ~ so I'd REALLY like to at least temporarily FIX IT while I shop for the best-deal to replace it.

I've replaced the Filters "Lungs" just over two years ago, so I don't want to buy the "full-monty" Filter, I'd rather shop for the best-deal on a replacement "Vessel" ~ maybe even just replacing the lower-half : ?

Meanwhile HERE: I've searched the forum in-search-of a suggested "Fix" ~ only to find one thread addressing a leaking STEEL Filter Vessel, and the discussion was unanimously AGAINST making any repairs to It whatsoever...

But what about repairs being made to those of Fiberglass/PVC/ABC/Polycarbonate or whatever "Plastic" they're made-of : ?

I'm thinking two-part epoxy with some fiberglass "Matt"...or perhaps that with "Hydraulic Cement" : ?

Any suggestions for repair of THIS type of Pool Filter Vessel would be greatly appreciated ~ including the best source for replacing it ~ should that be most-prudent : ?

CGPoolman
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro

Postby CGPoolman » Fri 12 Jul, 2013 13:44

Hello Mad Jax,

Personally, I've never had a lot of success patching the filter tanks. I've tried both fiberglass patch and AB putty. It will hold for a while, but if the filter pressure spikes up it can blow the patchwork. If you are looking for a temporary fix that would be the way to go. Just make sure the area is clean and dry, and patch from both the inside and the outside.

To replace the bottom half of the tank will cost around 250.00 to 300.00 if you can find the part in stock. For about the same price you could get a new cartridge filter. A new DE filter will run around 400-500.

-CG
MAD JAX
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 22k. gal. "Cement Pond" intergrated w/450 gal. Spa-Waterfall, FNSP-48 D.E. Filter, Raypak 390k. btu propane-heat, Polaris 360

Postby MAD JAX » Fri 12 Jul, 2013 18:07

Yo CG ~ thanks for the reply 'n advice, it is greatly appreciated...and taken!

I buffed up an area centered on the "Split of a 4"x8" "Oval" pretty good using an 150 grit "ziz-wheel" by hand, wiped it with "Brake-Kleen" on a paper towel, blew it clear-clean 'n dry with compressed air, and then applied some 35 minute "Set-up" two-part "Marine Epoxy" onto both It and a patch of Stitch-reinforced Fiberglass Woven-Roving matting cut into a slightly smaller oval-shape of 3" x 6" or so ~ but just on the inside...and it looks pretty good actually!

I'll assemble it tonight, but wait to re-start the Pump-Filter until tomorrow morning ~ just to let things "Cure" as-well as possible ; )

What does worry me is that -- despite Me having never seen the pressure gauge exceed 32 psi., whereas the "Operating Pressure" is rated at 50 psi., and considering My obsessive vigilance in "sheilding" My pool equipment over the 11 years I've owned the property to protect it from the elements (not the least-of-which is direct Sunlight) -- the Filter Vessel has now tried to split-apart anyway...do they just DO THAT after awhile or whut : ?

The Pool and Its Equipment just turned 14 yrs. old for having been constructed June of '99, and other than needing repairs such as Jandy Valve O-Rings in '08, D.E. Filter-Element Replacement in '09, Pump Bearings in '11, and Pump replacement 05/2013 for a Flood-innundation caused "short" doing IT in, I feel I've been pretty fortunate for My vigilance...well, there IS the leak in the Hi-Pressure line that feeds the Polaris 360 "Pool Mouse" ~ just outside the Pool somewhere UNDER the 8 ft. wide concrete apron of-course ~ where I came to "tunnell" deep enough to confirm BOTH the problem AND the-fact I'll need someone a LOT smaller to complete accessing IT for repair ~ meanwhile I've come to appreciate just how much work that "feature" expedites for how-much I've had to "Vacuume" for Its (the Polaris 360) operational-absence : (

Regarding resources for Pool Equipment & Supplies:

I've looked about the forum but notice no "Sale", "Trade", or "Barter" threads ~ perhaps that's already been considered (and deferred) by Our Host(s) here...or am I missing something : ?

Otherwise, where IS the best "site" to shop for parts, etc., -- New or Used -- as I may still need to replace at least the lower-half of the Vessel, and further of that, I need Strainer Baskets, O-Rings/Rebuild kits for My Jandy Valves and Main (Back-Flush/Bypass/Waste, Closed, etc.) Control Valve, and a rebuild-kit for My Heater (Inlet/Outlet Manifold O-rings for minor leaks), which may also include a new display bezel to replace that which is hazy today, and there's the "Polaris" system components that also need repair/rebuild too...then there's the "Cosmetics" repairs, such as all-those little blue "Tiles" that popped-off both the Pool and Spa ~ for the two-week "Hard-Freeze" we had Winter of 2011.... : ?

Whew, that's a lot more than I've been figuring for actually having written-it-out ~ One thing for sure:

Owning AND successfully maintaining Ones OWN "Pool" has got to be a labor-of-love!
"Impossible" is a degree of difficulty set by the imagination for lack of motivation.
TSH Tech

Postby TSH Tech » Sat 13 Jul, 2013 15:12

MAD JAX wrote:I've looked about the forum but notice no "Sale", "Trade", or "Barter" threads ~ perhaps that's already been considered (and deferred) by Our Host(s) here...or am I missing something : ?

Otherwise, where IS the best "site" to shop for parts, etc., -- New or Used

Ebay and Amazon are you absolute best bets.

MAD JAX wrote:Whew, that's a lot more than I've been figuring for actually having written-it-out ~ One thing for sure:

Owning AND successfully maintaining Ones OWN "Pool" has got to be a labor-of-love!

Like all luxury things that require maintenance; they're money pits.
MAD JAX
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby MAD JAX » Sat 13 Jul, 2013 17:55

Well things are lookin' pretty good-so-far ~ I'm in the throes of re-balancing for all the heat, humidity, wind, and rain here in North Georgia over the last two days My Pool Filter was down for the lower-half of Its "Vessel" trying to grenade...today that "Crack" is just smilin' away from the out-side @ 24 psi. ~ 'guess we'll see how it takes the pressure building back up to 30 psi for having to re-shock and "Brush" to get back on-top of the Algea...unless I back-flush -- like I should -- BEFORE it reaches that point : ?

On THAT "Tangent": Is there some "Pressure Sensor", etc. one could install that senses either a sudden DROP (Catastrophic Pool-Plumbing/System Failure) OR increased pressure (Plugged Filter, etc.) to then STOP the Pump...as THAT would've likely prevented both of the main two "problems" I'm having to address with My pool.

Back to "Balancing": I've also spent some time here on a thread discussing the wonders of "Borax" ~ I'll be looking into that for sure, as I have a perpetual ongoing battle with Green (Mustard?) Algea for My proxemity to both BIG Trees (for Their leaves, debris, etc.) and being down-wind of a large Tree Nursury ~ who's "Bobcats" and other activities keep the dust ("Fallout") a-fly during business hours 6-days a week ~ : O

(BTW TSH Tech thanks for the "Shopping Tips" ; )
"Impossible" is a degree of difficulty set by the imagination for lack of motivation.
CGPoolman
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro

Postby CGPoolman » Sat 13 Jul, 2013 18:42

Glad to see you are having success with the patchwork! :thumbup:

I'm not aware of any sensor to detect sudden changes in pressure. I would advise to acid soak your DE grids once or twice a year, that will keep them super clean and also keep your filter pressure in a safe range. Lots of variables could cause a filter tank to break - being that its 14 years old I wouldn't rule out simple old age.

As far as shopping for parts, TSH Tech's advice is solid. Try Ebay or Amazon. The local pool shops are just too pricey for the orings. I have actually found better prices on some items at Amazon then I get at my wholesaler.

Best of luck,

-CG
MAD JAX
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby MAD JAX » Tue 03 Sep, 2013 14:23

Well that "Patch" has worked, but I did only patch the inside, and S.A.S after awhile of braggin' I'd fixed it now it leaks at start-up until it seems to self-plug, and otherwise seeps more-than-less whenever the pressure get's up there for the D.E. Filter Elements plugging-up ~ which brings up THAT problem:

I ran out of D.E. but let the Filter run those few days 'till I got some, and now the Elements seem to plug-up pretty-much immediatly regardless of how much I back-flush...I've heard they'll get plugged-up for having NO/insufficient D.E. installed prior running the Filter, and I've also read (but can't remember) wtf to DO about cleaning them differently than ususal to resolve that problem ~ use Vinegar or something or what : ?
CGPoolman
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro

Postby CGPoolman » Tue 03 Sep, 2013 15:02

Hello again Mad!

Try soaking your filter element and see if that helps clean it up. Of course - be sure to use rubber gloves, goggles, long sleeves, etc.

If you have a large plastic barrel (trash can usually works pretty good) you can put about 2 gallons of muriatic acid and fill the rest with water. Place the filter element in there and let it soak for a good 24 hours. You should see the element start to fizz and bubble right away. After it is done soaking, rinse it out real good and put it back in the filter. I'll usually dump the trash can with the water/acid mix out on my driveway to give the concrete a quick cleaning.

If the acid soak doesn't work, you can try to do same thing with some liquid chlorine. If enither soak works, you most likely will need a new element.

-CG
MAD JAX
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby MAD JAX » Tue 03 Sep, 2013 15:13

Thanks for the fast reply ~ the pool only turns greener the longer I wait to fix THIS problem ~ I have a gallon of "Green Label" Chlorine so I'll try that first...hopefully they're not too-far-gone, as I replaced them just a few years ago : ?

Return to “Routine Pool Cleaning & Maintenance”