Vacuuming returns dirty water

Adding chemicals, vacuuming, backwashing,
brushing, filter care, filter cleaning, replacing
worn or broken pool parts
PEK
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 21 Foot Round / 4 feet deep / Above Ground / Hayward Swim Pro Missile System / Cartridge Filter

Postby PEK » Mon 23 Jun, 2014 16:30

Hello,

I have 21 Foot Round / 4 feet deep / Above Ground / Hayward Swim Pro Missile System / Cartridge filter pool approx 10-15 years old. I have not had any issues with vacuuming pool until this year. After opening the pool this year, i balanced the chemicals and attempted to vacuum. Upon vacuuming the pool, the dirt is sucked up, but returns out the jet and clouds up the water. I thought my one year old cartridge may be bad, so i replaced with a new one. Same result. I have a have a 2 speed pump and have always vacuumed on HI. Not sure what is going on. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

TSH Tech

Postby TSH Tech » Tue 24 Jun, 2014 00:37

Hello, after reading your pool situation there, this is a common problem experienced by pool owners with identical pool filtration equipment.

The problem is in the cartridge filter itself, brand new fresh out of the box. Cartridge filters will only filter down to a certain particulate size and many times, algae and soil debris passes through the cartridge filter with ease right back into the pool. It's the nature of the beast, as they say. Sand filters experience this problem too. DE filters are the only filters that this does not occur, because they filter very fine particulate in the pool water.

You have options.
1) You can bypass your filter when vacuuming, allow the water to spill out into the ground, avoiding any electrical cords! This may take some minor modification to your pool plumbing system.

2) Go to the pool store, buy the smallest DE bag they sell and before vacuuming, add a few handfulls of DE to the filter. This will act as a DE filter trapping the fine particles, but the downside is the filter will load up quickly eliminating your vacuum suction power. And yes, you will have to clean the cartridges afterward and rinse out the DE powder.

3) It's an added cost, but consider purchasing a robotic cleaner that has fine particulate filtration. This will put some fun into pool vacuuming, as it performs like a remote control car underwater, where you control and steer the robot. After your done, take it out and put it away in storage until the next cleaning.

Hope this helps!
AussiePoolBloke
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby AussiePoolBloke » Thu 26 Jun, 2014 04:33

Just use maintenance dose of 2 in 1 clarifier will do the same thing without introducing de to your system

Return to “Routine Pool Cleaning & Maintenance”