Adding chemicals, vacuuming, backwashing,
brushing, filter care, filter cleaning, replacing
worn or broken pool parts
jbadjones
I'm new here
I'm new here

backwash and refill method?

Postby jbadjones » Sun 03 Jul, 2016 16:14

Hello all! Just stumbled across the forums and figured you guys could steer me in the right direction. Long story short, I am purchasing family property and we are getting to the appraisal stage. I understand the appraiser must be able to see the bottom of the pool for it to be deemed as safe.

I've been searching the Web for the best approach and today when I went to clean a family member messes up all my research and said instead of cleaning up debris, shocking, using algaecide and then vacuuming we should backwash, refil, repeat and basically replace the greenis brown muck and then treat. Is this a normal method? I haven't heard anyone else reference this. Just looking for any pointers/assistance and all help is appreciated!

Pool is fiberglass, sand filter, 15000 gallons, and extremely dirty. Was opened last summer and otherwise, this is all the info I have.

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: backwash and refill method?

Postby Denniswiseman » Wed 06 Jul, 2016 09:09

Depending on the cost of refilling I would vacuum to waste not backwash as yet
Don't drain to much out of the pool as it could float if you have ground water
You need to determine whether it is algae in the pool or just muck before you treat it
You may want to get a lerge net and scrape as much solid debris of the bottom before vacuuming

Return to “Routine Pool Cleaning & Maintenance”