Pool Maintenance Tips

Adding chemicals, vacuuming, backwashing,
brushing, filter care, filter cleaning, replacing
worn or broken pool parts
AquadynamicspoolLLC

Pool Maintenance Tips

Postby AquadynamicspoolLLC » Fri 27 Jan, 2017 11:41

Hey All!

I wanted to provide some basic information and tips on pool maintenance, especially since pool season will be here before we know it. Feel free to add to what I list!

1. After a storm, it's always wise to run your pool equipment for a couple of extra hours. Also, I recommend emptying all baskets of debris, leaves, and any other unwanted junk. Be aware of critters that end up in here too, especially if it was a severe storm.

2. Act immediately if you see algae forming! Algae has the tendency to spread like a wildfire, so it's best to zap this problem before it gets going. It's important to note that if you can see it with your eyes, it's already forming in large quantities.

3. Brush your pool and tiles weekly! Maintenance is time-consuming but it needs to be done. Don't fall behind on your pools brushing.

4. I recommend covering your pool equipment with a medium duty cloth or tarp. This will help prevent unwanted damage and exposure from UV rays. We want to keep your investment in good quality for as long as possible!

5. Depending on your specific pool, make sure your timer is set accordingly to allow all of your pool's water to be filtered at least once a day. In the summer months, let it run for a couple of extra hours and vice versa in the cooler months.

Nothing groundbreaking but I hope it helps! :D

Aquadynamics LLC
http://www.aqdpools.com

nathanmurray61
I'm new here
I'm new here

Re: Pool Maintenance Tips

Postby nathanmurray61 » Thu 02 Feb, 2017 04:23

You've shared really great tips. How about.. Maintenance tips during winter?
Love is when the other person's happiness is more important than your own.
A Green Origin
aquapro
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby aquapro » Fri 03 Feb, 2017 05:18

Good tips! I would also add to check the filter regularly, aiming to keep it clean and clear of debris as much as possible.
wendyheath121

Postby wendyheath121 » Sat 06 May, 2017 02:38

HI there, thanks for sharing these tips. I think this will sure going to help me.
karishma1012

Postby karishma1012 » Fri 02 Jun, 2017 04:48

Hello,

The idea behind to have a pool will be thrilling.It's being having so much fun for the daydreamers.
Here are pool maintenance tips you need to try:
1.Clean the bottom of the pool daily i.e Skimming and Scrubbing can be done on regular basis.
2.Use filters to remove impurities from the water.We know that filtering of water is essential for the healthy swimmers.
3. Test chemical levels i.e. it can be done on the regular basis.
Six chemical levels that are use for the cleaning purpose:
1. Cyanuric Acid
2. Free Chlorine
3. Acidity/Alkalinity
4. Total Alkalinity
5. Calcium Hardness
4.Use baking soda instead of using chemicals.
5.Check the water level on the regular basis.
These are the tips which are used to make your pool well maintained.
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Fri 02 Jun, 2017 12:07

When testing get a decent test kit (Taylor K2006C or TF100) They will give you accurate results (pool stores and strips are widely inaccurate)
Cyanuric Acid is a stabilisor and is found in most powder and tablets pucks. When the level gets to high it renders your chlorine ineffective
For every 10 ppm Free Chlorine (FC) added by Trichlor, it also increases Cyanuric Acid (CYA) by 6 ppm.
For every 10 ppm FC added by Dichlor, it also increases CYA by 9 ppm.
For every 10 ppm FC added by Cal-Hypo, it also increases Calcium Hardness (CH) by at least 7 ppm
Liquid chlorine (sodium hypochlorite, bleach) will not add additional CYA. Check out Chlorine / CYA Chart for the correct chlorine level for your CYA
Muriatic acid (hydrochloric acid) will lower pH and Total Alkalinity
Bicarbonate of soda will raise Total Alkalinity
Aeration will raise pH
If you are interested in maintaining your own pool check out these links
Pool School
Slam
Pool Levels
Pool Maths
Poonamdpi
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient

Postby Poonamdpi » Sat 03 Jun, 2017 03:17

Hello,

There are many ways to maintain the pool. You should clean the pool surface every few days.
To clean the swimming pool you should use the hand skimmer to remove the leaves, debris, bugs and unwanted items. To keep water clear and reduce the number of chemicals you need to add vacuumed in the pool.To prevent the pH varying up and down you should be tested weekly with a total alkalinity of 120-150 ppm on.
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Sat 03 Jun, 2017 09:42

Poonamdpi wrote:Hello,

There are many ways to maintain the pool. You should clean the pool surface every few days.
To clean the swimming pool you should use the hand skimmer to remove the leaves, debris, bugs and unwanted items. To keep water clear and reduce the number of chemicals you need to add vacuumed in the pool.To prevent the pH varying up and down you should be tested weekly with a total alkalinity of 120-150 ppm on.

Forget the TA of 120-150 if you check out the recommended Pool Levels you will find they are nowhere near that and in fact can go lower if your pH keeps rising
pH will also rise with aeration
CindSein
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: It is an indoor pool

Postby CindSein » Wed 28 Jun, 2017 04:40

Poonamdpi wrote:Hello,

My house was constructed quite a few years back. At the time of construction, a pool was built indoors. We had been using the pool till we shifted to Texas. The house was unoccupied while we were in Texas. Now we are back to our hometown after 3 years.

I tried to clean the pool using backwash method to flush the filter of debris and contaminants. But, I came across an unexpected problem. The water flow rate did not increase after the backwash. The tank pressure seems to be still higher compared to the normal. I cannot figure out exactly what the problem is? The pool was free of hair and lint strainers before backwashing. But after backwashing, no water is coming out of the pipe. Should the pipes be primed? Since I have some issues with the bathroom pipes, I have already approached the professional plumbers for repairing it. Should I get the help of them to get the pool problems solved? Or is there any DIY method???
All those who have faced this situation before, do share your thoughts.
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Denniswiseman » Wed 28 Jun, 2017 05:31

What type of filter do you have?
Can you set the MPV to recirculate or bypass? If so is water flow back to the pool good
What is your water level in the pool, does the pump basket drain water out?
marvinwalters
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient

Postby marvinwalters » Sat 29 Jul, 2017 02:18

Installing a pool fence is also essential to avoid any accidents.
wendyheath
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Our pool is quite big.

Postby wendyheath » Sat 09 Sep, 2017 00:27

Great post.
Poolcovers
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast
My Pool: we designs and manufactures fixed automatic retractable enclosures for pools, patios and outdoor spaces.

Postby Poolcovers » Thu 08 Mar, 2018 05:24

Thanks for sharing informative tips!! These tips are very useful for everyone who has the swimming pool.
tikle_star
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Rectangular size swimming pool with flat surface no slope in pool depth.

Postby tikle_star » Sat 30 Jun, 2018 02:37

Really helpful swimming pool maintenance tips. Apart from these tips i would like to add some more tips which we can to keep our swimming pools clean and working.
1. Pump filters are the kidney of swimming pools. These helps to remove dirt, leaves or other small stuffs. So to keep filters working, clean them at least once in a week.
2. Check the chemical levels for pools such as Cyanuric acid(30-50), Free chlorine, Acidity(7.5-7.8), Alkalinity(60-120), Calcium hardness(220-350). If chemical treatment is costly for you,we can use baking soda to keep pool clean.
3. Keep maintenance of pool pump. It is the major part of maintenance, since it pumps in and out the water from pool.
4. Use Pump pool cover, it will help in reducing pump sound.

Thank You
tikle_star
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Rectangular size swimming pool with flat surface no slope in pool depth.

Postby tikle_star » Tue 03 Jul, 2018 00:18

Thanks for sharing the great tips on pool maintenance. I 'd like to add few more points -

Get periodic maintenance of your pool pump as delaying it may cost you a new pool pump motor.
Also, having a pool pump cover helps a lot in reducing noise from the motor. I have used it (from https://noisypool.com) and it totally works.

Return to “Routine Pool Cleaning & Maintenance”