Pool Maintenance Tips

Adding chemicals, vacuuming, backwashing,
brushing, filter care, filter cleaning, replacing
worn or broken pool parts
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Re: Pool Maintenance Tips

Postby Teapot » Tue 03 Jul, 2018 09:47

What is the cause of excess pump noise, too smaller filter and plumbing. Rather than buying another piece of add on, tackle the issue. Reduce the speed of your pump with a pump controller you'll save a huge amount in electricity, have better filtration and less noise. My pump, 29db the water is making more noise!

If the pool is fibreglass or vinyl lined hardness and alkalinity do not matter much alk at around 40-60 slows the pH rising, especially when CYA stabiliser is present. Also the pH doesn't matter when CYA is present so long as it's above 6.9 otherwise it can irritate eyes.

Strelets_410
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Don't have one yet

Postby Strelets_410 » Thu 23 Aug, 2018 06:33

Hi everyone,

I wanted to ask something : I'm currently in the process of buying this house in Greece as a holiday house (I live most of the time in Belgium.)
There's a swimming pool, that you can see in the pictures ; it's located outside, on a concrete/brick platform.

My main issue is that it's a holiday house, I won't be around most of the time ; hell, I'll literally be more than 1000 miles away. Even if I allow my family to go to the house while I'm not there, it will be occupied at best 3 months a year. What do you think I should do to take care of the pool during whole months without care? If I got things right, I should empty it and put a hard cover on it, but apart from that?

Thanks!
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Postby Teapot » Thu 23 Aug, 2018 08:36

A hard cover that blocks out most/all of the light
Then a salt chlorinator that you can run whilst you are not there to keep the water sanitised for starters. My pool is around 500miles away in France and the automated dosing computer keeps things running nicely. If you have a decent phone signal or internet you could get a connected salt chlorinator that allows you to monitor and adjust levels via a smart phone or PC.
What you cannot do is empty it and leave it, the ground is under the weight of the water (60 tonnes ish) remove that weight and the ground will move and break the pool easily.

Return to “Routine Pool Cleaning & Maintenance”