Pool pump broken by taking out vacuum cleaner while swimming?

Adding chemicals, vacuuming, backwashing,
brushing, filter care, filter cleaning, replacing
worn or broken pool parts
efsullivcoupon
I'm new here
I'm new here

Pool pump broken by taking out vacuum cleaner while swimming?

Postby efsullivcoupon » Tue 09 May, 2017 14:34

Hi there,

I rented a vacation home in Arizona and the owner is refusing to return a security deposit as they claim the pool pump was broken by our kids swimming in the pool and taking out a vacuum cleaner robot while swimming and the owner had to pay $1500 to replace the burned out pool pump as a result:

Their comments:
"Per a professional pool care company - the vacuum is a part of the pool, it is attached. The vacuum was left out of the water on the deck of the pool (not its intended purpose) for an extended period of time which in turn allowed it to fill with air instead of water. This "melted" and destroyed the inside of one of the two pool pumps. One of the pool maintenance employees came to the house to discover the vacuum on the deck."

Just trying to understand is this complete BS and they owner is trying to have us cover wear and tear on their pool pump or is this a real scenario???

Thanks.

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: Pool pump broken by taking out vacuum cleaner while swimming?

Postby Denniswiseman » Tue 09 May, 2017 16:45

Robots are not normally left in the pool when swimming and I would assume that the pool care company should have removed it
Do you know if it has a vacuum hose or electrical lead
I would say that the robot vacuum is not part of the pool it's an accessory
I would say that you should find out the model and seek professional advice as to what could have happened and whether you are liable
efsullivcoupon
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby efsullivcoupon » Tue 09 May, 2017 19:51

Denniswiseman wrote:Robots are not normally left in the pool when swimming and I would assume that the pool care company should have removed it
Do you know if it has a vacuum hose or electrical lead
I would say that the robot vacuum is not part of the pool it's an accessory
I would say that you should find out the model and seek professional advice as to what could have happened and whether you are liable

Thanks for the quick response Dennis. It had a vacuum hose only no electrical lead. Kids moved it onto the side of the pool as they were getting tangled in the plastic hose attached to it.
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Wed 10 May, 2017 03:36

When you took the robot out of the pool was the vacuum hose disconnected from the pool, if it wasn't then air would have been sucked into the pool filtration pump which would lose prime and run dry which would definately cause pump problems
That being said. Why was the robot working when you were there and why wasn't there precise instructions regarding the pool
I would assume that when renting the property the use of the pool was included and should have been ready
I know that when removing a robot that you need to disconnect the vacuum hose from the pool and so do others with pools but I wouldn't expect a novice to know.
My opinion is that the pool should have been ready with instructions regarding the robot removal and the pool care company responsible for leaving the robot working while you were there
I am not an attorney and if you think it's worth the trouble and expense contact one
efsullivcoupon
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby efsullivcoupon » Wed 10 May, 2017 09:58

Thanks - super helpful Dennis.

Return to “Routine Pool Cleaning & Maintenance”