brushing, filter care, filter cleaning, replacing
worn or broken pool parts
richard_a
I'm new here
I'm new here

Basic advice on pool vacuum procedure

Postby richard_a » Mon 05 Jun, 2017 09:00

Hi all,

Just moved into a house with a pool which seems to have been reasonably well looked after. I need some help getting my head around some of the basics. The set up is as follows;

Outdoor pool approx 12,000 gallons
Sand filter
Calorex heat exchanger

All seems to be working well - I would like to know procedure to vacuum if someone can explain in very simple terms! Sorry for the lack of knowledge which is probably not helping me describe things here!

I have a manual pool vacuum with a hose and a pole - the pool has two inlets/outlets, both around a foot under the surface - one of which has water flowing in when the pump is operating normally, and the other I think is for the hose to be attached when I want to vacuum.

To try and be specific the sand filter has a multiport valve on it (set to filter normally, has backwash, rinse, waste, close, etc). There are 3 pipes with valves: skimmer, sump and vacuum. Huge apologies if I have missed something key here which prevents any helpful advice!

It would be great if anyone could provide a few tips on how to vacuum the pool - some of the reading I have done already is suggesting a backwash and rinse process after vacuuming, but I am not quite sure in which order to open/close valves or attach the hose etc.

Thanks in advance for any help :)

R

Return to “Routine Pool Cleaning & Maintenance”