Need help . Pool smelling like rotten fish ...

Adding chemicals, vacuuming, backwashing,
brushing, filter care, filter cleaning, replacing
worn or broken pool parts
Slyou22

Need help . Pool smelling like rotten fish ...

Postby Slyou22 » Sun 25 Feb, 2018 00:37

Hello everyone , we have a big problem with our pool. We just emptied it to make new grout , and now there is an horrible smell coming out from 2 Pipes at the bottom . The smell is like very fishy or like when you go to some beaches with old sludge ( not sure this is the word sorry ) it does smell very very very bad. This night some water came out of it and its even worst .

We just bought this house ( In thailand so no idea if the system is good or not ) , we didnt smell anything when it was filled with water.

I dont know anything about pool plumbing and i need your knowledge :)

Thanks in advance

Slyou22

Re: Need help . Pool smelling like rotten fish ...

Postby Slyou22 » Sun 25 Feb, 2018 00:39

here is a picture : http://prntscr.com/ijefgn
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Sun 25 Feb, 2018 04:08

What were your numbers before you emptied it and how did you maintain it?
If your chlorine was low you may well have had some small animal get in and die when the chlorine was raised
FC:
TC:
pH:
TA:
CH:
CYA:
Pool chemicals:
My pump & filter:
I would suggest flushing your pipes out with water
If you can draw from main drain only put some water in the pool with your MPV set to recirculate (not filter) and pump the water round. You will also need to check you pump basket for any organic matter trapped in it
You have to get your plumbing as clean as possible before refilling and balancing
Slyou22

Postby Slyou22 » Sun 25 Feb, 2018 08:17

Hello thanks for answer. Im actually a total noob ... i just bought this small villa. I emptied the pool to have the grout remade. And when the pool was empty this happened. I have no idea about the chemicals status i had before doing that. Will try to flush the pipe out and see whats up. Thanks
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Sun 25 Feb, 2018 09:11

At least when you clean it out you will be starting with a clean slate
I don't know what chemicals are readily available in Thailand but you should be able to purchase a lot of these locally
Liquid chlorine (sodium hypochlorite or plain bleach not splashless or scented)to raise chlorine
Muriatic acid (hydrochloric acid) to lower pH and TA
Bicarbonate of soda to raise TA
Aeration will raise pH only
Soda ash will raise pH and TA
You will also have to put Cyanuric Acid (Stabiliser/Conditioner) to help buffer your chlorine
You can get stabilised chlorine (tabs & granules) to raise your CYA but only till you reach your appropiate level as excessive CYA renders your chlorine ineffective
For every 10 ppm Free Chlorine (FC) added by Trichlor, it also increases Cyanuric Acid (CYA) by 6 ppm.
For every 10 ppm FC added by Dichlor, it also increases CYA by 9 ppm.
For every 10 ppm FC added by Cal-Hypo, it also increases Calcium Hardness (CH) by at least 7 ppm

You will need to raise your CH to protect your new grout
You also need to get a decent FAS/DPD testing kit to check for the previously mentioned chemical levels and combined chlorine
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Postby Teapot » Sun 25 Feb, 2018 09:32

Hi Slyou22, where do those pipes lead to?
Fish smell is often ammonia based, either way not good as it will lead to bacteria somewhere. Chlorine is slow to act on ammonia based compounds and biofilms. I would suggest you look for chlorine dioxide. Maybe you can get that in dry tablet form if you can't find the liquid but block off the other end of where those pipes lead to? and give the pipes a good soak over night.

Return to “Routine Pool Cleaning & Maintenance”