Just rented a house with a pool I don't want

Adding chemicals, vacuuming, backwashing,
brushing, filter care, filter cleaning, replacing
worn or broken pool parts
Wylder
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: smallish in-ground, concrete pool. No heater? Just rented house so still learning.

Just rented a house with a pool I don't want

Postby Wylder » Wed 22 Aug, 2018 09:00

We are having to move, and the house we are going to be renting has a '60s era in-ground pool. It's concrete, with several layers of peeling paint. There doesn't appear to be a heater. The pool lights don't work. There's no cover on the pool bottom drain. There's a big filter in a shed that runs all the time. That's pretty much all I know at this point, I can find out more specifics if its helpful.

Here's my issue: we don't really want a pool. We rented the house for other reasons. (Before everyone asks, no we couldn't find a different place that met our needs and budget). The landlord refuses to make improvements or repairs to anything, including the pool. So, ideally we would buy a cover and just shut the pump off. But I understand that is not a good idea? Lets assume we won't use it at all. So what is the best way to minimize my costs (electricity/water) on this? If I hire a service, what is the minimum frequency to have them come out?

Thanks for any advice!

Wylder
Sonoma County, California

Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Re: Just rented a house with a pool I don't want

Postby Teapot » Wed 22 Aug, 2018 09:55

Legally, I would expect that main drain to be repaired following the VGB law? Something to check on. More later, busy at the moment
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Wed 22 Aug, 2018 12:32

Who's resposibility is the pool yours or the landlord
There will be a cost of sanitation and elecricity to keep the pool in good order
Wylder
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: smallish in-ground, concrete pool. No heater? Just rented house so still learning.

Postby Wylder » Wed 22 Aug, 2018 12:45

I am responsible for maintenance. If something breaks/wears out, I don't have to repair it, but I do want to make sure the owner can't say it broke due to negligence. Kind of like any other rental "appliance" situation. The lease doesn't say anything specific about the pool, but the property manager said we need to "leave it in the same condition we found it".
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Wed 22 Aug, 2018 13:39

To keep it sanitised and safe to use would be a weekly cost
If you don't mean to use it, subject to your ground water I would be inclined to drain and leave it
Wylder
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Wylder » Wed 22 Aug, 2018 15:52

The ground water here is about 18" down in the rainy season, and maybe 48" down in the dry season. The soil is very sandy loam. We get a few frosts in the winter, but no freezes. I thought draining a pool was supposed to be bad for it, but I don't know much! Also, is it ok to leave the pump off for a year or more? Thanks!
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Postby Teapot » Wed 22 Aug, 2018 17:02

I wouldn't eave a pool empty any longer than necessary, you could end up with a bill for rebuilding it.
No, not ok to leave the pump off for a year. If you buy a winter cover you could run the pump for a couple of hours a couple of days each week to keep the chemicals mixed. Excluding the sun light, lowering the phosphates and using minimum chemicals you should be ok.

Return to “Routine Pool Cleaning & Maintenance”