Adding chemicals, vacuuming, backwashing,
brushing, filter care, filter cleaning, replacing
worn or broken pool parts
Mikey427
I'm new here
I'm new here

D.E With Sand?

Postby Mikey427 » Sun 30 Jul, 2006 05:53

Can you add a little D.E to a sand filter - thru the skimmer - to help in the filtration process and trap the smaller particles - or will that hurt the filter?

CharlieG

Postby CharlieG » Wed 23 Aug, 2006 10:41

I read somewhere on this forum that you could but have not tried it myself. The post I read was talking about no more than a cupfull in the skimmer so I can't imagine that doing too much harm if it does not help
Walter
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro

Postby Walter » Fri 25 Aug, 2006 07:44

I have read it also but I think it is a temporary thing because the DE is gone once you backwash. A DE filter is much better to filter a pool but alot more time and maintance for the pool user.
We are a custom pool and spa builder. We can only offer suggestions with the information given. Don't hesitate to email me if you have a questions and I will answer it as best as I can or point you in the right direction.
kamkuda
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient

Postby kamkuda » Thu 07 Sep, 2006 05:46

A DE has grids in it with a fabric covering the grids. The DE powder sticks to a fabric as a paste. As the water passes thru, it filters the water.
DE in sand does not work in the same way. I doubt you would get much positive impact

Return to “Routine Pool Cleaning & Maintenance”