brushing, filter care, filter cleaning, replacing
worn or broken pool parts
slimy_jimmons
I'm new here
I'm new here

Recycle TritonII Sand Filrter HELP Please

Postby slimy_jimmons » Sat 12 Aug, 2006 17:50

New pool owner and struggling with it..
What is the proper way to recycle a Triton II Sand Filter,and at what pressure, my multi-port has Filter, Rense, Recycle, Backwash, Closed & Waster in counter clockwise pattern. It has instruction, but they are behind the plumbing ans I can't read them
Help Please

me

Re: Recycle TritonII Sand Filrter HELP Please

Postby me » Sat 12 Aug, 2006 19:21

slimy_jimmons wrote:New pool owner and struggling with it..
What is the proper way to recycle a Triton II Sand Filter,and at what pressure, my multi-port has Filter, Rense, Recycle, Backwash, Closed & Waster in counter clockwise pattern. It has instruction, but they are behind the plumbing ans I can't read them
Help Please

To backwash and clean pump basket: Turn off pump motor, place multiport valve at 'backwash', start pump motor, observe water exiting from backwash hose (or inside glass bottle on valve side), after water clears stop pump motor, turn multiport valve to 'rinse', start pump motor, wait 15-20 seconds, turn off pump motor, turn 3-way valve (under pool skimmer) so it turns off the main drain and skimmer (this may be 'position 2'), unscrew basket cap on pump, remove and clean basket, screw back basket cover but not airtight, turn 3-way valve until pump fills with water, screw cover airtight, important: put 3-way valve at 50/50, turn multiport valve at 'filter', turn on pump motor.

All done.

Do not worry after a while it becomes automatic. (It's a bit like explaining in writing how to drive a standard-shift . . .)

It is important that the pump motor be off when turning the multiport valve.

When all is well the pressure meter will indicate 'normal' operating pressure. Depending on your situation this may be 10, 15 psi whatever. Note this reading. After a week if it reads significantly higher than its 'normal' pressure ( >5 psi) it's time for a backwash.

Filter setting: This filters the water. It's your normal setting.

Rinse: This rinses the multiport valve. Water does not enter the filter. Use this setting to clear any debris after a backwash.

Recycle: This makes the water flow directly from the inlet hose to the outlet hose bypassing any filtering. You can use this to make the water circulate without any filtering.

Backwash: This reverses the direction of the water in the sand filter effectively cleaning the sand. You should insure that the backwash hose is attached and pointing somewhere appropriate.

Closed: This is where you put the multiport vavle when you close the pool in winter (if there is a winter in your part of the planet). If you do close the pool for the winter remember to remove the plug from the bottom of the sand filter and let the water drain. Do not replace the plug but keep with the other pool things for next spring.

Waste: This directs the water from the pool directly to the backwash hose, in effect draining the pool. You may wish to drain the pool if its too full, say after a big rain storm. For optimum draining make sure the 3-way valve under the skimmer closes the skimmer and pulls the water only from the main drain, the pump may pull in air otherwise. Also you may wish to use this setting if you're vacuuming things like algae and you do want them in your filter, in this case use a garden hose to maintain the water level in the pool, as it empties fairly quickly. In this case adjust the 3-way valve so the pump takes in water only from the skimmer.

Enjoy your pool. With proper water balance pools require surprisingly little maintenance.
slimy_jimmons
I'm new here
I'm new here

New problem

Postby slimy_jimmons » Sun 13 Aug, 2006 16:28

Thanks for help with the sand filter.
Now I have a new problem, I needed to shock the pool so I left the filter running all night and the pool level dropped about 6" during the night. I had just filled it up yesterday. I thought it was loosing a little to much water to be evaporation, but everyone told me that what was going away ( 1" to 1 1/2") every 3 days or so was normal for SE Texas summer.
It appears to me that I have a leak in my plunbing somewhere, or my multiport is leaking to waste somehow. I can't find where the water is going, but my ditch in front keeps a little water in it all the time.
Is there an easy way to find out where the leak is?
Also the clear indicator appears to me to be on the waste outlet protion of the multiport valve, so the water would have to be going to waste to show water in the galss.?????? :oops:

Return to “Routine Pool Cleaning & Maintenance”