Adding chemicals, vacuuming, backwashing,
brushing, filter care, filter cleaning, replacing
worn or broken pool parts
tawolf73
I'm new here
I'm new here

Too much suction in Vac?

Postby tawolf73 » Thu 03 May, 2007 07:33

I have an Intex 18 ft x 4ft metal frame pool. Just installed a hayward sand filter S180T. It has a 1hp hayward pump. When I hooked up the vaccumm (plastic head with bristles attached to 25ft hose) it worked great for the first day removing leaves etc from the bottom. The next day after the water had cleared some I went to vac again. It worked good for the first few passes, then it stuck to the bottom and I had to turn the pump off to release the suction and get it un stck. In the process the plastic piece that holds the filter head to the telescopic pole cracked.( I think somehow this is how I got a 1 inch tear in the liner since it is right in the area on the bottom where the vac was stuck!) I happen to have a spare so I connected that one and started again in a different spot...same thing happened. Stuck to bottom and cracked the peice(no rip in liner this time).
SO my question is...is this the wrong type of vaccum for this amount of suction pressure? or am I doing something wrong? I don't want to keep breaking these peices, they are inexpensive, but it's a pain! and I certainly don't want any more rips in my liner!
Any ideas?

chrisinspring

Postby chrisinspring » Thu 03 May, 2007 16:26

Are there any suction valves? You might be ok with a normal vacuum head since it's only a 1hp pump, I would look into a commercial model, the residential models tend to stick after sometime.
tawolf73
I'm new here
I'm new here

no valves

Postby tawolf73 » Sun 06 May, 2007 07:57

There are no suction valves. I was using a brand new vaccum head. I bought it from the pools store. Any other ideas?

Return to “Routine Pool Cleaning & Maintenance”