Hayward Navigator vacuum sticks on plastic drain cover

Adding chemicals, vacuuming, backwashing,
brushing, filter care, filter cleaning, replacing
worn or broken pool parts
Mike C.

Postby Mike C. » Thu 15 Jul, 2010 01:46

I had the exact same problem. Started after our pool was refinished a couple years ago with drain cover replaced. Very annoying.
My Navigator is about 10 years old, but otherwise works well. I have been very good about replacing parts (even though expensive to buy!!) as needed.
I emailed the Hayward company about the "getting stuck constantly on the pool drain" problem and asked for their suggestions.
A very nice gentleman there sent me a brand new "Variable Throat Assembly" (part no. 29 on their parts list). This was perhaps the only part that I have not replaced through the years. The one he sent differed from the original in that there were two much beefier "lugs" cast into the plastic on the underside. Perhaps this is a new design??
Anyway, to make a long story short, it's been a week now and the Navigator has not gotten stuck on the drain, not even once. Occasionally it will sit atop the drain for about 30 seconds to a minute, but will then manage to walk off on it's own. Hallelujah!! Problem solved!!! :D

RPMc

Postby RPMc » Thu 29 Jul, 2010 13:26

Mike has discovered the solution.

If the lugs or hold offs on the throat assembly are worn down, as they where on mine, the suction at the throat will capture the cleaner as it passes over the top of the domed drain cover. The lugs prevent direct contact of the throat assembly to the drain cover allowing a break in the suction and the ability for the Navigator to continue on its merry way.

Replacing this part has solved the "sticking problem" for me . As this a Hayward product, I was expecting to have to take out a second mortgage to pay for it. To my surprise, it only cost $13.00!
dicnic

Postby dicnic » Thu 06 Jan, 2011 19:17

The newer drain covers, mandated by OSHA are convex and stick up to prevent a small object (think child) from getting stuck on the drain when it is "sucking." Our pool cleaner never stuck on the drain cover until we had the covers replaced due to the arrival of a grandaughter.

I have never seen a solution that worked reliably to prevent a pool cleaner from hanging up on the covers.
Tubemule

Postby Tubemule » Wed 01 Jun, 2011 11:28

I used a plastic flower pot large enough to fit over drain from Lowe's ($6.00) with holes in the bottom. I tied a rope to a 5lb plastic barbell weight inside the pot. With the rope loop long enough I place the weighted pot upside down over the drain with the brush attachment on my long skimmer pole. It work great and is easy to place and remove.
hmalbaugh

Postby hmalbaugh » Tue 21 Jun, 2011 17:00

I found a simple inexpensive solution to this problem. A company named "Main Drain Clip-On" sells a clip and an installation tool. The clip "snaps" onto your existing pool drain. No need to remove the drain. Also, if you use the installation tool, you can install the clip from the side of the pool without getting into the water.
I have it in my pool and it works great.
floridapooltech
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: License # CPO34-283076

Postby floridapooltech » Tue 16 Aug, 2011 14:12

Actually, the Polaris Unicover was made specifically for this type of issue. It attaches over your existing main drain cover and creates a bridge which the cleaner will simply continue over and works with virtually all pool cleaners.
daccchar

Postby daccchar » Mon 16 Jun, 2014 21:42

MAINDRAINCLIPON.COM
prosete89

Re: Hayward Navigator vacuum sticks on plastic drain cover

Postby prosete89 » Sat 12 Mar, 2016 06:52

I have bought about $70 worth of clip-ons that included 4 clips and the installation tool. I have installed 2 clip-ons on the same drain cover as suggested by their videos (side by side at an angle, one over the other, etc.) I have even managed to install 3 at the same time. Problem is the clip-on hooks that are on each end of the clip break off very easily when trying to realign the attachment. This maked the clip unusable, as it needs both hooks to fasten securely on the drain cover. I'm now down to one clip-on left out of the 4 I purchased. Otherwise, the Navigator laughs back at me as it sits stuck on the clip-ons and I have to manually remove the hose away from the drain each time it sticks.

I emailed the seller, which appears to be a simple 1 or 2 man shop run out of their home, 3 days ago inquiring about other options, information, suggestions, or instructions (never asked for refunds or freebies). They have yet to answer or reply.

Don't waste your money

Greys0n
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Greys0n » Sat 26 Mar, 2016 10:09

I had Hayward vacuum with the same problem.
Greys0n
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Greys0n » Thu 31 Mar, 2016 03:11

But now I bought Poolbustercg vacuum
pegaraiza

Postby pegaraiza » Tue 18 Apr, 2017 15:06

MainDrainClipOn wrote:I found a solution to my automatic pool cleaner getting stuck on my pool main drain.

Go to http://www.maindrainclipon.com

The "clip-on" device" is inexpensive and easy to install. Also, there is an installation tool available that allows the device to be quickly installed from the side of the pool without getting into the water.

This IS a quick and easy solution and works well....until it doesn't...we've found that the clip on cover lasts for about a year before it breaks and needs to be replaced. They cost about $20, so if you replace it every year for 5 years, you're about as well-off as if you had purchased and installed a newer style complete cover.....after that, I guess it depends on low long the full cover lasts before your ROI is busted....figure out which works best for you :D

Return to “Routine Pool Cleaning & Maintenance”