Pool pump losing pressure

Adding chemicals, vacuuming, backwashing,
brushing, filter care, filter cleaning, replacing
worn or broken pool parts
Derek C
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: My pool is a little splash pool 3.5m X 2.5m. It's a fiber glass shell and around 13 years old.

Pool pump losing pressure

Postby Derek C » Thu 24 Jan, 2019 09:39

Hi all,

My splash pool is around 13 years old and I replaced the pump early in 2018. The pump works just fine but the moment I plug my Zodiac pool cleaner into the weir, the pump loses almost all pressure after about 10 seconds and the pool cleaner goes nowhere. Disconnect the pool cleaner and the pressure returns to normal again.

I've dismantled the pool cleaner completely and checked all the pipes to make sure there isn't a blockage. Nothing at all.

Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this problem? I'm at a complete loss so any help will really be appreciated.

Many Thanks

Derek

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: Pool pump losing pressure

Postby Denniswiseman » Fri 25 Jan, 2019 03:53

Hi Derek and welcome
Did this only happen with the new pump?
Classic description of a suction side air leak
Does the pump strainer empty out when you connect the Zodiac and refill when you disconnect it?
The first thing to check s the "O" ring on the pump strainer lid and lubricate with silicon grease
The next thing is the water in connection
Then check your pump drain plugs
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Postby Teapot » Fri 25 Jan, 2019 05:37

Suction side air leak seconded.
PyroJim
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby PyroJim » Sat 26 Jan, 2019 16:17

Check the hose that you are plugging into the skimmer. It is either full of air or it is letting air in after you connect it. Since air is so much thinner than water, ANY leak at all in the suction hose to your cleaner will draw in enough air to totally kill the suction and stop the flow. A great way to see this is by poking a tiny pin hole into a drinking water straw and then trying to drink through the straw. You may get some liquid, but you will get mostly air, and that is what screws everything up with pumps. No air leaks in the suction are allowed if you want to stay sane.
Derek C
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: My pool is a little splash pool 3.5m X 2.5m. It's a fiber glass shell and around 13 years old.

Postby Derek C » Wed 06 Feb, 2019 05:37

Hi all,

Thanks so much for the great feedback. Dennis, yes, only with the new pump that's been fine since installation. I've checked the hoses so it probably is a suction side air leak. What you guys are saying is exactly what's happening. I've had a few PVC pipes spring leaks as well but fixed those with Pratley Putty and they've never leaked again.

Pyro Jim, gotta agree with you there, it's driving me nuts!! I've had no major issues ever except the pump being fried by lightening so my swimming pool maintenance knowledge is veeeeeeeeeeery limited!

Thanks again for the feedback. I'll check and lube the seal and if that doesn't work, call in an expert.
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Wed 06 Feb, 2019 07:00

Hi Derek
You only need to check on the suction side as if there is a leak on the pressure side you will see it
Martines32
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Pool Type: Ground; Pool Size: 51 Feet; Cleaning Cycle: 1 hour.

Postby Martines32 » Sun 07 Apr, 2019 09:44

What is basic for a new pool owner? I don't know much about but I would like to learn.
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Denniswiseman » Sun 07 Apr, 2019 12:06

Use Pool School to help understand basics and what you don't understand come back and we will help
swatiteke
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 12 by 7 meters

Postby swatiteke » Mon 06 May, 2019 04:28

Great post. :thumbup:
Brokez
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Inground, 30x16 sand filter

Postby Brokez » Wed 08 May, 2019 14:57

Following this topic with a similar situation..... Pump runs fine with good pressure on drain or drain/skimmer combo but if I switch valve to only skimmer pressure drops, I have a Kreepy Krawly and it wont carry enough pressure to run it. I have pinpointed down to a suction side leak... Are the chances its directly in the line between switch valve at pump and skimmer basket pretty certain? At the end of summer I was beginning to see a drop in water levels. I actually bought an electric dolphin vacuum because I thought the KK was bad..... TIA
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Denniswiseman » Thu 09 May, 2019 02:32

Hi Brokez and welcome
Look at my previous post on 25th Jan

Return to “Routine Pool Cleaning & Maintenance”