Adding chemicals, vacuuming, backwashing,
brushing, filter care, filter cleaning, replacing
worn or broken pool parts
PyroJim
I'm new here
I'm new here

Opinions on the Dolphin/Nautilus Plus Pool Cleaner

Postby PyroJim » Sat 26 Jan, 2019 16:37

I'd like to hear from anyone that owns a Dolphion-Nautilus Plus pool cleaner.

How do you like it?

Other than cleaning the filters, have you ever taken it apart? Is it user serviceable by someone that is fairly technical?

What problems have you experienced so far?

Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Re: Opinions on the Dolphin/Nautilus Plus Pool Cleaner

Postby Teapot » Sun 27 Jan, 2019 03:32

I sold mine years ago as we timed one of our staff using, cleaning and putting it away compared to manual cleaning. The manual method means no missed areas.
This also came with measures to improve both the filtration and flow of water in the pool. For the quick cleaning jobs I have a poolblaster which is just a couple of minutes use when getting out the hose isn't needed.
General cleaning of pools is a funny process. Most people's idea of cleaning is merely removing the larger leaves etc. Their pool is a settling tank, undisturbed the dirt sinks and can be carefully vacuumed out. Putting in a robotic cleaner gets the leaves but the finer dirt is put back into solution but you can't see it again until it settles when the pool is still. The water is glass clear before they start and slightly hazy when they have finished.
I got my pool so clean that the fine dirt had been removed so it didn't go hazy that is the position we should all be heading for.

Back to the unit, yes home repair is straight forward but I never had to carry it out. Only once did the robot tangle itself up and scuff the cable. Because these (all) miss areas, my suggestion if you want to go the robot route get one with the manual steering unit so you can get to the areas it will otherwise miss.
PyroJim
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby PyroJim » Mon 28 Jan, 2019 12:01

I was thinking more of comparing it to a Polaris 180. I assume the Dolphin is not supposed to be left in the water all day like the Polaris?
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Postby Teapot » Mon 28 Jan, 2019 16:20

Ah, shame you didn't write that, save me rambling on lol.
I know people who have left them in all day without issue (dolphin). The Polaris by comparison require the additional booster pump so more running cost/capital investment than the dolphin.
These gadgets are still required because the water flow and filtration are not working well. I know this because I have been there having been trained by the pool industry. For the last 7 years I have improved things to the point where add on gadgets are not needed and electricity consumption has been reduced by 90% whilst water quality has increased, chemical use has fallen along with maintenance time.
The industry seems to want to protect itself and it's income at the cost to the environment.

Return to “Routine Pool Cleaning & Maintenance”