Rust spots on fiberglass steps

Adding chemicals, vacuuming, backwashing,
brushing, filter care, filter cleaning, replacing
worn or broken pool parts
Dborns
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 20x40, in-ground, vinyl liner, sand filter, three skimmers, fiberglass slide and steps, less than one year old.

Rust spots on fiberglass steps

Postby Dborns » Sat 27 Jun, 2020 13:52

First time poster, first pool I’ve owned. We moved in in November when the pool was closed. We had it professionally opened, and have been learning how to keep the chemicals “leveled” out. It’s not been to difficult. Recently we’ve noticed rust spots on the fiberglass stairs, and they’re getting worse. We didn’t think they were there after we opened the pool, but they might have been; either way they’re increasing. Nothings being left in the pool, (as in toys or objects), besides the auto cleaner, and there’s no rust spots or scale falling off the SS handle over the steps.
We’ve tried rubbing vitamin c on them and rubbing with a brass brush. Today we tried sprinkling granular chlorine on it, let it sit, then hit it with 2000 grit wet sandpaper. Nothings worked. I tried pics, but they weren’t clear; I’m sure everyone gets the idea of what rust spots on white fiberglass would look like.
Thanks for the help in advance.

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: Rust spots on fiberglass steps

Postby Denniswiseman » Sun 28 Jun, 2020 03:19

Have you tried Vitamin C powder in a sock
Dborns
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 20x40, in-ground, vinyl liner, sand filter, three skimmers, fiberglass slide and steps, less than one year old.

Re: Rust spots on fiberglass steps

Postby Dborns » Mon 29 Jun, 2020 08:25

Not in a sock. I let a couple capsules dissolve then I rubbed them on the stains. I’ll try the sock method.
Thank you

Return to “Routine Pool Cleaning & Maintenance”