brushing, filter care, filter cleaning, replacing
worn or broken pool parts
ssgranger
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Indoor, in ground

Bromine Pool

Postby ssgranger » Sun 07 Feb, 2021 13:49

I have an indoor pool that I have converted from Chlorine to Bromine. After I converted, I have about 40 pounds of chlorine tablets left over. From what I understand, shocking the pool is done with chlorine and this "Refreshes" the bromine. I have an inline thing for putting in the tablets when it was a chlorine pool and I am wondering if I can put the left over chlorine tablets into it as an ongoing "shock". Will this work or should I just find someone who uses chlorine and give them the tablets?

Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Re: Bromine Pool

Postby Teapot » Mon 08 Feb, 2021 15:20

Why did you convert to Bromine? More toxic to humans, it smells and still requires chlorine to activate the bromine. You shouldnt be using chlorine tabs as the CYA in the tabs will inhibit the chlorine from be as powerful as it binds to the chlorine.
That said you cant protect the bromine from the suns UV degradation.
ssgranger
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Indoor, in ground

Postby ssgranger » Wed 17 Feb, 2021 12:23

Well, as to why I converted, as I said its an Indoor pool and while the house was vacant (2 years) the pool was not maintained. Chlorine is a pretty vicious oxidizer and everything metal in the pool room rusted severely. Luckily, I dont have to justify my decision further than that or at all, frankly. There is no sun exposure since it is, again, an indoor pool.
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Postby Teapot » Thu 18 Feb, 2021 04:00

I would like you to understand that those of us who give up our time freely to assist owners often have to tease out information from owners to get a complete idea of the issues.
For example, 100% of my customers with indoor pools have a wall of glass along the side of the pool so making the issue of water chemistry important. Had you painted a better picture of your pool, I would not have needed to ask.
The pool not being touched for 2 years, can I assume the air handling units were therefore switched off is most likely the cause of the corrosion. Whilst chlorine is corrosive it is more common that the chloramines generated from byproducts after interactions with humans that do the damage, in particular nitrogen trichloride. Irradicating the formation of chloramines is primary in indoor pools.
Moving back to your question you'll need an activator for cleaning up the bromine so you have options of chlorine or non chlorine shock (peroximonopersulphate). Personally I would not use the chlorine tabs you have as they will add CYA that you do not require as you have no sunlight issues.
I would bet that swapping to bromine and then leaving the pool for 2 years would result in the same level of corrosion on the building fittings.

Return to “Routine Pool Cleaning & Maintenance”