Changing underwater bulb - unscrewing issue

Adding chemicals, vacuuming, backwashing,
brushing, filter care, filter cleaning, replacing
worn or broken pool parts
Eddles
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient
My Pool: 66000 litre indoor swimming pool with UV and sand filtration, and 1200 litre hot tub.

Changing underwater bulb - unscrewing issue

Postby Eddles » Wed 14 Jul, 2021 17:00

Hi all, my swimming pool has two lamps - I believe Certikin PU9s - and both bulbs had blown. I brought 2 replacement LED bulbs. I successfully replaced the bulb on one side, it works great. The other side, however, I couldn't undo one screw. I could remove the upper screw, but not the lower screw. I believe that due to my ham-fisted efforts and lack of leverage, I've now stripped the head despite using the exact correct bit, I double checked the fit with the screw I removed, it was perfect.

How do I remove the final screw? I've already brought replacement screws but need this one removed. I'd have used my battery impact driver but the warranty doesn't cover water damage. I saw a mention online that I could use air tools but I can't justify buying the compressor and drill needed, just for this one screw, and don't want to risk ruining hire tools.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

IMG_20210221_234951__01_compress11.jpg

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: Changing underwater bulb - unscrewing issue

Postby Denniswiseman » Thu 15 Jul, 2021 01:44

I'm afraid that you will have to drain it down sufficently to use your battery drill

Return to “Routine Pool Cleaning & Maintenance”