Reducing wasted water during vac cleaning

Adding chemicals, vacuuming, backwashing,
brushing, filter care, filter cleaning, replacing
worn or broken pool parts
RonPace
Swimming Pool Wizard
Swimming Pool Wizard
My Pool: Uncovered inground 12x6M, Cl and Ph solenoid doser. Glass media filter. South France

Reducing wasted water during vac cleaning

Postby RonPace » Mon 25 Apr, 2022 03:32

I spent the weekend pool cleaning that involved a complete suck across the bottom to get all the fine silt out.

Often this is not a 'waste of money' problem as it also lowers the water level for replenishment to counter excess CYA build up. However, this year my CYA is very low, so I was in a hurry so as not to waste too much water. However, I was particularly concsious that my pump was discharging water at a pretty high rate. So I got to wondering for vac use, there should be a stand alone product, like a giant domestic vacuum cleaner, that does not suck so much water out yet still be effective at sucking up the silt.

I tried my mate Mr Google, but he was not much help - is there such a product? I then wondered if there is a vac head with a reducing device that might perform the same job. Again Mr Google got a bit confused, so thought maybe ask her is better!

Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12000 gallons vinyl liner,

Re: Reducing wasted water during vac cleaning

Postby Teapot1 » Mon 25 Apr, 2022 11:29

Ron there are several options for stand alone battery vacuums.
Pool Blaster https://g.co/kgs/Yvp21p

Poolblaster Volt FX-8 Li Pool Poolsauger Vacuum Li-ion Battery https://g.co/kgs/S8Q767

https://images.app.goo.gl/atBNND48QEaoAjvu5

A variable speed pump saves a lot of money on electricity whilst filtering and is very handy to reduce the flow for vacuuming. Its about the only time you actually get the stated flow through the pump as its not filtering but it gets rid of the water too quickly.
I may not give you the answer you want to hear, but I will give an honest opinion of your situation as you decribe it.
RonPace
Swimming Pool Wizard
Swimming Pool Wizard
My Pool: Uncovered inground 12x6M, Cl and Ph solenoid doser. Glass media filter. South France

Postby RonPace » Tue 26 Apr, 2022 07:47

So Teapot, what is filtering capability of these cleaners?

Problem here is that often we gat a heavy rain that deposits half the Sahara Desert on top of us! Theresult is that the pool ends up with a really fine silt that will sift through everything, hence it is best to hoosh it out to waste.

Yes, I agree a pump with a dial that I can turn to low throughput would be great, but not feasible now!
Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12000 gallons vinyl liner,

Postby Teapot1 » Tue 26 Apr, 2022 15:54

Hi Ron,
The poolblaster max have an extra fine filter bag to backup the regular one and it works quite well. Same with the volt range as they are made by the same company but the volt is an updated and better version. It would catch most fine stuff but the superfine pollen will make it through sometimes.
The last one is a bit course on filtration.

A pump you can dial down is feasible, just add a variable speed drive. Would pay for itself after a season or worst two. The clever pump inverter or invertek opti drive E3 would fit the bill, they are two I have used, maybe there are more now, I haven't looked for 3 years.
How I dealt with the sahara sand or very fine pollen. Turn the pump speed down so it lifts the dirt but doesn't cause breakthrough and line the skimmer basket with a cotton towel ( not washed with fabric conditioner) scrunched up. Using an iris plate (certikin) and vacuum on filtration, that caught most of it in the towel rather quickly clogging the towel so often a second was needed, wife won't mind! However this year I am switching the dryden aqua AFM Glass filter media for the new AFM ng as it filters ( at the correct flow) to 1 micron so should catch all the dirt, pollen and sahara sand easily.
I may not give you the answer you want to hear, but I will give an honest opinion of your situation as you decribe it.

Return to “Routine Pool Cleaning & Maintenance”