Sand Filter - Increase preasure level

Adding chemicals, vacuuming, backwashing,
brushing, filter care, filter cleaning, replacing
worn or broken pool parts
MrDavid

Sand Filter - Increase preasure level

Postby MrDavid » Fri 06 May, 2005 19:30

I have a Sta-Rite sand filter. It is about a 1 1/2 old. It is running about 10 psi high. I've backwashed it several times, following the backwash instructions to to the letter but it does not seem to lower it back to it's normal level. Pool water looks/tests great and there is no sign that pump is not working correctly.

Any ideas?

MrDavid
Winter Haven, FL

Postby Guest » Thu 19 May, 2005 08:59

Hello,

Have you tried cleaning out your pump basket? :shock: Not the skimmer basket , but the one down by the pump? This makes my pressure jump sometimes. Just a thought. Good luck! :lol:
MrDavid

Postby MrDavid » Sat 28 May, 2005 06:17

Thanks for suggestion.

It turned out to be a faulty preasure gauge. I bought a replacement from the Home Depot and everything works great. Here are some troubleshooting ideas. Pool supply centers stock the gaugues but will often charge more.

1. Check pressure coming out of jets. If flow is strong and water is clear; the problem is not likely an issue with the pump or filter.
2. Sand filters are workhourses and don't typically break. Sand may need to be replaced every 4 to 5 years.
3. I'm told because the gauges are often made of plastic they break more often. Repleacement cost is about $7-$8.
4. Don't panic if you see a little sand in your pool. It could come from just about anywhere and doesn't always mean you need to replace your sand filter. On one occassion we called a service man only find out what we thought was sand was actually an algae.

Return to “Routine Pool Cleaning & Maintenance”