DE filter backwash problem

Adding chemicals, vacuuming, backwashing,
brushing, filter care, filter cleaning, replacing
worn or broken pool parts
Dana in Texas

Postby Dana in Texas » Tue 12 Feb, 2008 18:46

I have a 25,000 gal. in ground pool with a 1 HP Hayward Super Pump and a 60 sq. ft. Hayward DE filter.
A backwash cycle is useless to remove the DE media, 2 - 3 times a year, instead of backwashing, I have to remove the element assy. and clean off the DE by hand. There is significant amounts of DE left after attempting a backwash cycle.
Leslie installed the filter, it appears to be installed correctly.

South TX Poolguy
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby South TX Poolguy » Thu 14 Feb, 2008 22:18

When you backwash you should see the DE come out. It should be white or dirty.

When you backwash you should backwash a couple of minutes then rinse for 15 sec. Then repeat two more times.

If the filter is working you should be able to add DE and not see it go into the pool.

Make some pressure readings to see if the filter is collecting dirt.

Putting cal-hypo in the skimmer will cause the DE to become gummy and stick to the grids.
muss08
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby muss08 » Sun 16 Mar, 2008 12:05

Backwashing DE filters will never remove ALL of the DE. Backwashing DE filters is more of a temp. fix. A couple times a year the filter grids should be hand cleaned with a hose and sprayed with a degreaser/mineral build up remover. Some DE should be coming off with backwashing though.
handyman

Postby handyman » Sun 16 Mar, 2008 13:43

After backwashing, how much DE should be added at the skimmer?
My filter calls for 6 cans of DE at start up after cleaning filter elements. Assuming not all DE is purged with backwash, how much should be added after each backwash?
aiadisernia

I'm having similar issues

Postby aiadisernia » Sat 06 Sep, 2008 09:04

I've looked at many forums and posts regarding this issue and have found nothing.

When I backwash my Hayward D.E. filter, the water comes out clear. If i tap the side of the drum, i see some DE coming out. However, when I remove to cover of the drum, the grid is very dirty. Could it be possible that the control valve is NOT sending water into the drum?
Fat Daddy

Postby Fat Daddy » Tue 24 Mar, 2009 16:37

Dana in Texas wrote:I have a 25,000 gal. in ground pool with a 1 HP Hayward Super Pump and a 60 sq. ft. Hayward DE filter.
A backwash cycle is useless to remove the DE media, 2 - 3 times a year, instead of backwashing, I have to remove the element assy. and clean off the DE by hand. There is significant amounts of DE left after attempting a backwash cycle.
fat daddy

Postby fat daddy » Tue 24 Mar, 2009 16:47

Fat Daddy wrote:
Dana in Texas wrote:I have a 25,000 gal. in ground pool with a 1 HP Hayward Super Pump and a 60 sq. ft. Hayward DE filter.
aiadisernia wrote:I've looked at many forums and posts regarding this issue and have found nothing.

When I backwash my Hayward D.E. filter, the water comes out clear. If i tap the side of the drum, i see some DE coming out. However, when I remove to cover of the drum, the grid is very dirty. Could it be possible that the control valve is NOT sending water into the drum?
Larry
Pool Forums Admin
My Pool: Pool Pro
Exclusively tiled concrete pools

Postby Larry » Wed 25 Mar, 2009 01:00

muss08 wrote:Backwashing DE filters will never remove ALL of the DE. Backwashing DE filters is more of a temp. fix. A couple times a year the filter grids should be hand cleaned with a hose and sprayed with a degreaser/mineral build up remover. Some DE should be coming off with backwashing though.

Return to “Routine Pool Cleaning & Maintenance”