Low Flow, do I need to replace sand?

Adding chemicals, vacuuming, backwashing,
brushing, filter care, filter cleaning, replacing
worn or broken pool parts
pinechick

Low Flow, do I need to replace sand?

Postby pinechick » Mon 12 May, 2008 22:44

Above ground, self priming 5000 gallon plunge pool with Haward Sand Filter, Ecomatic Salt Water Clorinator and newbie pool person.

After I backwash, the psi on the Hayward Sand Filter goes down to 16.
After I vacuum for 15 minutes (mostly silt and floaty things) the pressure goes back up to 22psi and the suction lowers
No blockage or leaks in valves, that I can detect.

I've backwashed 6 times in the last two days. Mostly same results but with psi going down slightly each time after backwash but rising just as quickly once I vacuum or leave the pump on.
After I vacuum and pull the hose out of the skimmer, the jets are putting out maybe 2% flow of what they should be. It's like vacuuming slows the whole thing down.
This is a new system installed 3 months ago, but with no one really maintaining it while we were away except for adding more salt when meter dipped below 100, (no cleaning of pump filter for 3 months or ph testing). Also, system was never backwashed after initial set up and very hazy coudy water and Sahara dust falling in it for the last 2 weeks. PH and everything else is off the charts high!
Thanks for any help you can give me in narrowing the possibilities.
PC

muss08
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby muss08 » Tue 13 May, 2008 06:34

It is very normal for the pressure to rise when vacuuming. You are pulling dirt off the bottom of the pool and putting it right into the filter. You may have to backwash 4 or 5 times during one vacuum. Very normal. Yes vacuuming is slowing the whole thing down because it is making the filter dirty which in turn makes water harder to pass through. if you have alot of dust and small debris falling into the pool this will make the filter get dirty quicker. Everything you are describing sounds normal.
APSP Certified Service Pro
Jandy Tech School
Pentair Tech Training
Raypak Heater School
5 yrs experience
pinechick

Postby pinechick » Wed 14 May, 2008 19:21

Thanks for the advice. It's much appreciated.

Another question if you don't mind...can you apply Diamond Brite over top of a white plaster pool finish?
gcorona

removing closure

Postby gcorona » Fri 25 Jul, 2008 20:59

how do i remove the closure

Return to “Routine Pool Cleaning & Maintenance”