Any experience with Fiber Clear filter mediume?

Adding chemicals, vacuuming, backwashing,
brushing, filter care, filter cleaning, replacing
worn or broken pool parts
lipoolguy

Postby lipoolguy » Thu 17 Jun, 2010 09:00

As a follow up to my post above, I was fortunate in that the pool store took back the chemicals that are incompatible for a store credit, even though they generally don't accept chemical returns. HERE'S THE DEAL WITH FIBER CLEAR - THE INFO. THAT SHOULD BE ON THE LABEL:

1. When switching to Fiber Clear (FC), you must clean out all the DE from your filter and grids, otherwise FC will not work. This can be done professionally for about $75-80 (that's the going rate in my area). Don't attempt this yourself unless you research how to clean a DE filter first.

2. You must put the required amount of FC in the skimmer after EACH backwash. In the beginning, you may end up backwashing often, but that is b/c the filter is adjusting to FC. In short order, your backwashes will be less.

3. WARNING! Many "enhancer" chemicals are not compatible with FC, and shame on the makers of FC for not stating this on the label! Many Algaecides, clarifiers, and phosphate removers used with FC will not only cause high psi readings, but may clog the filter as well. FC works so well that you won't need these anyway. Natural enzyme products may be used. More on chemicals below.

4. DURING SWIM SEASON: Your chemical program with FC (and a DE filter) should be as follows:

Recharge with FC after each backwash
Keep chlorine levels steady (automatic chlorine feeder is really necessary)
Maintain chemistry (ph, etc.)
Shock when necessary
Use a natural enzyme product to enhance filtration and help break down, body oils, sweat, etc. I recommend Pool Perfect which is compatible with FC. This is optional
Run the filter 10-12 a day continuously.
In other words: chlorine, shock, FC, and pool perfect. Done.

That's it! If your chlrorine levels, water chemistry, and filtration are correct, you won't have an algae, scale, or other problems. Algaecides and other enhancements are just a quick fix but do not stop the cause. The only time you may need an algaecide or phosphate remover would be when you close for the winter as the filter is not running. Hope this helps.

Coby

Postby Coby » Thu 24 Jun, 2010 12:05

Fiber clear is absolutely the best product I have ever used in my pool. It will save you hundreds of dollars in chemicals if used properly. After 5 years of struggling with algea, purchasing a new pump and numerous service calls my pool is clear and my chlorine costs are a fraction of what they were previously.

You CAN NOT use phosphates or other chemicals with Fiber clear because it filters down to 2 microns and the pressure will rise too fast.

As with any new product, it takes a little trial and error with the correct amount to use. Start with less, watch the pressure, and clean or backwash regularly. My water clear all winter and I was shocking once every 2 months. I have needed only 6 pounds of shock for 30,000 gallons in 2 months. I even went 3 weeks with no tablets and still the water was crystal clear. I have needed no clarifier, no algeacide or ph up or down.

There is nothing I have found better than Fiber clear. I went from swamp green to crystal clear in 4 days with Fiber Clear. The water literally sparkles.
sbas

Postby sbas » Fri 30 Jul, 2010 20:03

Two months ago I decided to try fiber clear after using DE for the last 35 years. I have found that it works poorly in my Purex 60 SF filter because the media won't bond tightly enough to the filter grids. This is advantageous since the pressure never builds up. Unfortunately the media eventually ends up on the bottom of the filter and any algae or dirt simply blows through the filter. The grids were brand new and never used with DE and the filter hardware has no leaks that could account for the blow though. Instead of changing DE every 4 months I now have to clean and replace the fiber clear every 2-3 weeks! While I appreciate the biodegradability of fiber clear it is too hard to keep the pool clean and the cost is far higher!
floridapooltech
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: License # CPO34-283076

Postby floridapooltech » Mon 02 Aug, 2010 15:38

Fiberclear/perlite is a much better, safer alternative to D.E. powder as D.E. is extremely carcinogenic and causes lung cancer. Regarding the pressure issue and the question of how much to use, however much D.E. Powder you used in the past on your filters, Fiberclear/Perlite should be 1/2 as much ie: 4 scoops of D.E. powder would be 2 scoops of Perlite/Fiberclear. regarding your pressure problem, are you positive this is related to switching to fiber medium? is it possible you have a clog in one of your return lines, or purchase new eyeball fittings putting in smaller ones?
NewPoolOwnerNJ

Postby NewPoolOwnerNJ » Mon 16 Aug, 2010 21:53

I have a hayward 48SqFt DE filter that was brand new last summer.
I was using DE last season but after finishing the bag, I brought home Fiber Clear this past saturday..
opened filter, hosed the filter very very well. the cartridges still look brand new.
I put 9 full scoops of Fiber and the pressure rose 8psi filter ran for almost 6 hours and switched off (automatic timer).
Sunday filter ran full 8 hours but we didn't go out to check (was raining etc)
today evening when I went out, I found a algae in pool and pressure at 12psi (same as a new filter with no medium). I vacuumed an area and for sure, all the algae was coming back to pool unfiltered.
I put 3 more sccops. pressure rose 3 psi and some filtering started.
switched pump off and ON again. same issue now. pressure is back to 12psi.
I opened filter to check and could not see loose cartridge etc. noleaks either from filter or jandy valve.

Any clue why the filter is not really working with FiberClear as expected?
Thanks in advance.
:sick:
floridapooltech
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby floridapooltech » Mon 16 Aug, 2010 22:26

NewPoolOwnerNJ wrote:I have a hayward 48SqFt DE filter that was brand new last summer.
I was using DE last season but after finishing the bag, I brought home Fiber Clear this past saturday..
opened filter, hosed the filter very very well. the cartridges still look brand new.
I put 9 full scoops of Fiber and the pressure rose 8psi filter ran for almost 6 hours and switched off (automatic timer).
Sunday filter ran full 8 hours but we didn't go out to check (was raining etc)
today evening when I went out, I found a algae in pool and pressure at 12psi (same as a new filter with no medium). I vacuumed an area and for sure, all the algae was coming back to pool unfiltered.
I put 3 more sccops. pressure rose 3 psi and some filtering started.
switched pump off and ON again. same issue now. pressure is back to 12psi.
I opened filter to check and could not see loose cartridge etc. noleaks either from filter or jandy valve.

Any clue why the filter is not really working with FiberClear as expected?
Thanks in advance.
:sick:

Fiber clear required a completely different approach than D.E.

First, it only required half the amount compared to D.E., so you put too much in. The pool store which sold it to you should have told you that. Also, before you put it into the skimmer, it needs to be mixed in a bucket of water, you cannot just place it into the skimmer as you would have with D.E. Hopefully this will help fix the issue you had.
NewPoolOwnerNJ

Postby NewPoolOwnerNJ » Mon 16 Aug, 2010 22:32

I poured 9 scoops as was directed on package (for my size filter).
I sure did not mix in water. you mean that resulted in it being all lumped up and not "binding" well to filter catridge as expected?
I was feeling so lost and frustrated.

now what? I already put 3 lbs of shock to kill all algae.
Shall I backwash completely and fill fresh Fiber?
I can not do anything till tomorrow 7pm anyway.
Was thinking of returning to Leslies and buy DE again......

If you tell me that not pre-mixing with water was all the difference then I am willing to try that.

Thanks again. you sure are doing good service on this forum.
:thumbup:
floridapooltech
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby floridapooltech » Mon 16 Aug, 2010 22:36

Yes, sorry that your experience isn't as good as it should have been with perlite. The bright side is it will backwash completely as it will not gum up on the filter as D.E. would have, so that shouldn't take too long. Mixing it with water will definitely make the worlds difference as it will evenly distribute. Use only half the amount compared to what you would have with D.E...For some reason, the amount they recommend is always a little high so be careful as too much will raise your pressure too high. It will turn into a sludgy like mix when you mix it, which is normal. Hope this helps! :thumbup:
NewPoolOwnerNJ

Postby NewPoolOwnerNJ » Mon 16 Aug, 2010 22:47

When you say "Perlite", I assume it will be same as Fiber-Clear (other brand but probably same product).
Why the pressure rose normally and filter started cleaning OK the first day when I initially poured the Fiber?
and even today, when I poured the 3 scoops, it seemed to have "worked" but only until I stopped the pump and restarted it, and again it was as if it is all gone.

I will try backwash and fresh "dissolved" fiber tomorrow anyway.
Help me understand the cost also.
Seems like the Fiber Clear will end up being far more costly than DE.
if I have to recharge the full amount after each backwash then the 3lb bag will be finished in 3-4 cycles only.

Thanks and Regards
floridapooltech
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby floridapooltech » Mon 16 Aug, 2010 22:53

NewPoolOwnerNJ wrote:When you say "Perlite", I assume it will be same as Fiber-Clear (other brand but probably same product).
Why the pressure rose normally and filter started cleaning OK the first day when I initially poured the Fiber?
and even today, when I poured the 3 scoops, it seemed to have "worked" but only until I stopped the pump and restarted it, and again it was as if it is all gone.

I will try backwash and fresh "dissolved" fiber tomorrow anyway.
Help me understand the cost also.
Seems like the Fiber Clear will end up being far more costly than DE.
if I have to recharge the full amount after each backwash then the 3lb bag will be finished in 3-4 cycles only.

Thanks and Regards

I apologize, Perlite is our brand we carry (it's all paper regardless as to what brand). The cost of your Fiber-Clear should be about twice that of D.E., which ends up equalling out because you use half as much as D.E. with the added benefit as it is not carcinogenic like D.E. is. I'm guessing it worked normal for awhile, then diminished filtration as it was most likely bunched up, then when the flow which was keeping it against the grids ceased, it all fell to a lower level bunching together further, leaving the upper "x" amount of grids open (which is why you noticed the same PSI as a filter with no media). You should notice almost equivalent pressure readings, however, like I mentioned above, it is not carcinogenic, & it will filter smaller particles resulting in much better filtered water quality.

Postby Guest » Mon 16 Aug, 2010 23:03

i run my Pro-Grid 48 sqft filter for 6 hours everyday which was OK with DE.
I hope this will be OK duration with Fiber too.

I am not sure if I am reading you correctly. Is it normal to expect fiber to bunch up if pump is not running 24 hours or is it all due to the one small misstep of not premixing in water?

if so, and premixing in water will ensure it "whirls up" everytime the pump is turned on, then it sure will be great (and I sure will feel like stupid for tripping on such a small point).
floridapooltech
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby floridapooltech » Mon 16 Aug, 2010 23:09

Pool User wrote:i run my Pro-Grid 48 sqft filter for 6 hours everyday which was OK with DE.
I hope this will be OK duration with Fiber too.

I am not sure if I am reading you correctly. Is it normal to expect fiber to bunch up if pump is not running 24 hours or is it all due to the one small misstep of not premixing in water?

if so, and premixing in water will ensure it "whirls up" everytime the pump is turned on, then it sure will be great (and I sure will feel like stupid for tripping on such a small point).

No, it will not do this if mixed first. The only reason it fell is because it was all bunched together. Once it is evenly distributed on both sides of each grid, it will not fall again. The pump run time can stay the same as it was with D.E....the only difference is you will notice a cleaner looking water with less suspended particles. What size pool and pump do you have? you should be running your system for atleast 8 hours a day to prevent algae outbreaks and proper circulation/filtration. Read the post HERE to see what I mean by proper filtration! :D
NewPoolOwnerNJ

Postby NewPoolOwnerNJ » Mon 16 Aug, 2010 23:18

I got 26000 Gal kidney shaped pool
hayward 1.5hp motor, hayward chlorinator (3" jumbo tabs type), Pro-Grid filter
I use no chemicals except chlorine shock

On the fiber manufacturer site, they say it is not needed to premix in water?
http://www.fiberclear.net/faq.html

"
How do I put Fiber Clear into my filter?
Fiber Clear should be put into the skimmer, just as you do with D.E. It is not necessary to mix Fiber Clear with water before putting it into the skimmer. Just pour the required amount (depending on size and type of filter) into the skimmer with the pool pump running. Instructions for the amount of Fiber Clear to be used with the various size filters are on each bag. A Fiber Clear scoop is included in each bag, except for the 9 oz. size which serves as its own measure.
"
floridapooltech
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby floridapooltech » Mon 16 Aug, 2010 23:27

NewPoolOwnerNJ wrote:I got 26000 Gal kidney shaped pool
hayward 1.5hp motor, hayward chlorinator (3" jumbo tabs type), Pro-Grid filter
I use no chemicals except chlorine shock

On the fiber manufacturer site, they say it is not needed to premix in water?
http://www.fiberclear.net/faq.html

"
How do I put Fiber Clear into my filter?
Fiber Clear should be put into the skimmer, just as you do with D.E. It is not necessary to mix Fiber Clear with water before putting it into the skimmer. Just pour the required amount (depending on size and type of filter) into the skimmer with the pool pump running. Instructions for the amount of Fiber Clear to be used with the various size filters are on each bag. A Fiber Clear scoop is included in each bag, except for the 9 oz. size which serves as its own measure.
"

That is very strange. As far as I know, you need to pre-mix that particular media in a bucket to ensure proper distribution. If you private message me your contact information, I will bring this up to our technician's tomorrow and see what their opinion on this is? What type of "shock" are you using? If you are using Dichlor, it has a high cyanuric acid content which raises your CYA to incredible levels over time, eventually leading to ineffectiveness of free chlorine. The best shock to use is cal-hypo which is pH and CYA neutral. (some CYA is required, however, to a level of 30-50 ppm recommended)
NewPoolOwnerNJ

Postby NewPoolOwnerNJ » Mon 16 Aug, 2010 23:37

I use Leslie's weekly shock(Power Powder) which is Cal-hypo.
CYA and all other numbers are in line as I got water tested this weekend.
Nitrate is little elevated (at just under 2) but I expect to get it in control with shock.

I will check this page tomorrow during the day for your expert advice.
Thanks and good night

Return to “Routine Pool Cleaning & Maintenance”