Any experience with Fiber Clear filter mediume?

Adding chemicals, vacuuming, backwashing,
brushing, filter care, filter cleaning, replacing
worn or broken pool parts
floridapooltech
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: License # CPO34-283076

Postby floridapooltech » Mon 16 Aug, 2010 23:40

NewPoolOwnerNJ wrote:I use Leslie's weekly shock(Power Powder) which is Cal-hypo.
CYA and all other numbers are in line as I got water tested this weekend.
Nitrate is little elevated (at just under 2) but I expect to get it in control with shock.

I will check this page tomorrow during the day for your expert advice.
Thanks and good night

I hope they didn't tell you that you can remove nitrates in your pool with buying more "shock"...this is just to sell more product. The only way to remove Nitrates from the pool is to drain some water, and replace with new. Nitrates are from fertilizers and cannot be "destroyed" with chlorine.

bribri

Postby bribri » Thu 19 Aug, 2010 21:30

I think he probably meant phosphates rather then nitrates, but maybe not.

Also, i think the fiber clear and perlite are different products. From what I have read, fiber clear is cellulose, and perlite is silica volcanic rock. So mixing perlite with water is required, but not fiber clear.

Also, seems a lot of people are having problems with clogging, but commented they added products specifically stated to not add. algicides, water clarifiers and phosphate removers all work by basically congeilling (sp?) the particles into a mass that DE can filter. This "goo" will clog the fiber clear completely, as it is a much finer filter than DE.

I also think you should start with half the recommend amount, and gradually add a bit more until you need to backwash. And the scoop size for fiberclear is not the same size as usually used for DE. So that may be some of the problem.
floridapooltech
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby floridapooltech » Thu 19 Aug, 2010 21:44

bribri wrote:I think he probably meant phosphates rather then nitrates, but maybe not.

Also, i think the fiber clear and perlite are different products. From what I have read, fiber clear is cellulose, and perlite is silica volcanic rock. So mixing perlite with water is required, but not fiber clear.

Also, seems a lot of people are having problems with clogging, but commented they added products specifically stated to not add. algicides, water clarifiers and phosphate removers all work by basically congeilling (sp?) the particles into a mass that DE can filter. This "goo" will clog the fiber clear completely, as it is a much finer filter than DE.

I also think you should start with half the recommend amount, and gradually add a bit more until you need to backwash. And the scoop size for fiberclear is not the same size as usually used for DE. So that may be some of the problem.

Did I say perlite? I meant aquaperl which is our brand. Algaecides do not floc particles together, most are made primarily of soap, and just kill the algae. Phosphate removers will drastically raise the pressure inside a filter, however, that is why they specifically instruct you to backwash PRIOR to adding it so there is no dirt particles to restrict the water flow. Aquaperl & Fiber clear do require some sort of mixing, whether it be from pre-mixing in a bucket, or turning your skimmer & main drain or vac port on 50-50%, if this is not done, it will clump resulting in uneven distribution and further problems. Regarding amounts, the general rule is if you added 4 scoops of D.E., you would add 2 scoops of the other (relatively). Regarding the possible nitrate/phosphate confusion, many pool stores are known for BS-ing you into buying products. It really wouldn't surprise me if they did tell him to add a bunch of random chemicals to "remove" nitrates though the only way to remove them is through dillution. The best thing to do is get a really good test kit such as the taylor K-2005 or K-2006, test the water yourself, use http://www.poolcalculator.com and purchase your chemicals KNOWING what you want.
RonB

Postby RonB » Tue 24 Aug, 2010 21:32

My pool supplier suggested I try Fiber Clear, in fact, he insisted. The pool at my house was using DE for the last 18 years with no problem. The pool guy took apart my 2year old filter and gave it a thorough cleaning and added the fiber clear and gave me specific instructions for adding it when I backwash. After a month, the pressure went up to 30 psi! I backwashed and added the exact amount of Fiber Clear. Exactly 1 week later, the pressure was up to 25 psi and my pool cleaner hardly works at all. I confronted the pool supply manager who sold me the fiber clear and wanted their company to come back out and clean my filter grids as I wanted to switch back to regular DE. He responded by telling me how easy it was to clean my filter grids and gave me a free box of DE. Obviously he knew that this stuff sucks! Anyway, I'm switching back to regular DE. That was my experience and I have read online about Fiber Clear and a lot of people have had similar problems. All I can say is beware of Fiber Clear! I don't think regular DE is all that bad!
floridapooltech
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby floridapooltech » Tue 24 Aug, 2010 21:42

RonB wrote:My pool supplier suggested I try Fiber Clear, in fact, he insisted. The pool at my house was using DE for the last 18 years with no problem. The pool guy took apart my 2year old filter and gave it a thorough cleaning and added the fiber clear and gave me specific instructions for adding it when I backwash. After a month, the pressure went up to 30 psi! I backwashed and added the exact amount of Fiber Clear. Exactly 1 week later, the pressure was up to 25 psi and my pool cleaner hardly works at all. I confronted the pool supply manager who sold me the fiber clear and wanted their company to come back out and clean my filter grids as I wanted to switch back to regular DE. He responded by telling me how easy it was to clean my filter grids and gave me a free box of DE. Obviously he knew that this stuff sucks! Anyway, I'm switching back to regular DE. That was my experience and I have read online about Fiber Clear and a lot of people have had similar problems. All I can say is beware of Fiber Clear! I don't think regular DE is all that bad!

My earlier posts were wrong, FiberClear is made of cellulose (paper). We sell AquaPerl perlite, which is volcanic rock. FiberClear does cause a lot of problems as it tends to no allow water to pass through as easy as D.E. or perlite. Try to stay away from D.E. if you can as it has been deemed carcinogenic to your lungs and the EPA is going to start forcing its removal from the market. If you would like to try our perlite, we can ship it out to you. I use this in my own pool, have not had any problems, it actually filters out water much cleaner compared to D.E. and it doesn't clog your system. Also, you use only half the amount as you would have with D.E.

You can see some of the facts about Perlite HERE

-Joe
TexasGirl
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 20K gallons, kidney shape, Hayward Pro-Grid Vertial DE filter, Model DE4820, Vari-Flo Filter Control Valve 2", Challenger High Pressure Pump

Postby TexasGirl » Fri 01 Oct, 2010 10:35

I have been satisfied with regular DE for almost 20 years, I switched to Fibre Clear one month ago and have all sorts of problems. Without going into details, I am switching back to DE. Do I have to clean my grids again before adding DE? My filter system was replaced 2 years ago and I am not in the mood to replace it again because of a faulty product.
floridapooltech
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby floridapooltech » Fri 01 Oct, 2010 10:39

TexasGirl wrote:I have been satisfied with regular DE for almost 20 years, I switched to Fibre Clear one month ago and have all sorts of problems. Without going into details, I am switching back to DE. Do I have to clean my grids again before adding DE? My filter system was replaced 2 years ago and I am not in the mood to replace it again because of a faulty product.

Yes, you do have to completely clean your grids before switching back. Have you heard of or tried "Perlite" which is volcanic rock? It is a much better product to use than Fiber Clear which is a paper media (gelatin). You can find information about this product at our store (link in signature).
Aquaset

Sadly Yes

Postby Aquaset » Sat 12 Feb, 2011 18:33

This stuff is lethal to a D.E. system! I first used the recommended amount in my Anthony Apollo VA-38 filter last fall (2010) and then, after replacing my main pump/motor assembly, which had blown a seal due to excess high system pressure,I did a system backwash. I then reloaded the same recommeded amount of Fiber Clear"garbage" into the skimmer. BIG MISTAKE! The result was dangerously high filter tank pressure wih no outlet flow. I then disassembled the tank. The grids were totally plugged up with what looked like wet newspaper "mush". After spending the rest of the day carefully pressure washing the grids clean, I reassembled the system and introduced the proper mixed amount of D.E. through the skimmer. The system has now recovered and is operating ok. I brought the rest of the bag of Fiber Clear to Leslie Pool outlet store , where I bought it, to see if they still sell this junk.At least in Northern CA, they still do. Buyer Beware!
badfruit

Postby badfruit » Thu 17 Mar, 2011 23:31

I have a hayward DE filter. I have been using the DE for the past seven years "clean twice a year" and it is a pain in the butt. I don't really have anywhere for the water to flow when cleaning. I tried fiber clear for the first time last July. The pump runs everyday for six hours plus when spa is being used. I left the fiber clear in the filter until the pressure went to high to leave in any longer "my own version of an acid test" i changed the fiber clear and cleaned filter today seven months later. The fiber clear back washed very well and the water was much more dirty than I have ever seen which means it was doing a great job. I use 13 cups but the instructions say to use 10. On the other posts I see people saying the pressure went up ten pounds after adding pho. remover, if they would have read the pho remover instructions it states that will happen. I have used the remover with DE and the same happens. I think fiber clear is a wonderful product and recommend it to everyone. Also, I add it right to skimmer like instructed but I do stir it around to mix quicker. Way more easy to use than DE and much cleaner not to mention works better. If you don't like it or the way it works, you are doing something wrong. - get a pool man, taking care of the pool is to much for you.
czechmate
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: 16 x 32 gunite21000 gal., Diamond Brite Blue, Swimquip XL pump, DE36

Postby czechmate » Sat 19 Mar, 2011 10:08

badfruit wrote: I don't really have anywhere for the water to flow when cleaning. I tried fiber clear for the first time last July. The pump runs everyday for six hours plus when spa is being used. I left the fiber clear in the filter until the pressure went to high to leave in any longer "my own version of an acid test" i changed the fiber clear and cleaned filter today seven months later. If you don't like it or the way it works, you are doing something wrong. - get a pool man, taking care of the pool is to much for you.

So if some product really sucks, like Fiber Clear we must be doing something wrong? And you do not have a P-trap installed where everyone backwash his old DE media out? Further, how much higher is your back pressure after coating the elements with Fiber Clear and after how much rise in pressure you allow before you replace it?
These are the facts that are critical to judging a product, that I am sure lot of folks would like to know.
You are recommending something without very basic and valid stats.
swimstuff

Postby swimstuff » Mon 09 May, 2011 12:38

Fiber Clear filters approximately 100% finer than DE (2 micron vs 4 to 5 microns). This means that, when you first switch to Fiber Clear, you will be removing particles/debris that the DE was unable to trap. This will cause, in some cases, more rapid pressure rise during the initial application. Once the pool water has become accustomed to moving through 2 micron filtration and the residual material that the DE was unable to filter is removed, backwash cycles will lengthen to more normal length. Of course, your pool water will be clearer and cleaner than with any other media!
One caution, do not use any clarifiers with Fiber Clear as they will cause premature pressure rise. With 2 micron filtration, one does not need clarifiers and you will just be wasting your money and causing much more work for yourself. Some chemical compounders are also using clarifiers in algaecides and phosphate removers, so be sure to check with your pool professional or chemical compounder to determine if they are doing so.
czechmate
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby czechmate » Mon 09 May, 2011 19:33

[quote="swimstuff"]Fiber Clear filters approximately 100% finer than DE (2 micron vs 4 to 5 microns). This means that, when you first switch to Fiber Clear, you will be removing particles/debris that the DE was unable to trap. This will cause, in some cases, more rapid pressure rise during the initial application. Once the pool water has become accustomed to moving through 2 micron filtration and the residual material that the DE was unable to filter is removed, backwash cycles will lengthen to more normal length. quote]

PLEASE DO NOT PRINT LIES HERE.
YOU DO NOT HAVE TO RESPOND TO OLD POSTS JUST TO RUN UP YOUR TAB, BY COMMENTING ON PRODUCT THAT YOU OBVIOUSLY DO NOT KNOW AND NEVER USED.
Fiberclear IS NOT 100 times finer than DE powder. Any school kid can see that at 6 feet distance.
As far as the ability to clean it is mostly hype and false claims by manufacturer.
FiberClear increases the backpressure, puts pump in the terrible strain, severely retards your cleaning cycle and uses therefore a lot more expensive electricity. Result is same clarity as with DE media for a triple cost on el. power.
There has been plenty of response here for anyone, who wants to know the product, so please do not spread false info. Thank you.
czechmate
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby czechmate » Thu 12 May, 2011 09:25

Just to add information on FiberClear product, that may help people to research its potential ability to clean water:
This material is man made paper cellulose or sort of pulp, very simmilar to what we used to have in our attics for thermal insulation. This fine shredded paper cellulose was since replaced by more efficient, lighter materials with less moisture absorbance.
It seems that this industry made a concerted effort to get part of the business from established media materials in water filtering, mainly DE because of its risen cost.
I can alone testify that I personally had to remedy my friends clogged up DE elements by installing brand new one's in his DE filter. It was at the cost of 10 year supply of DE.
This happened after a year of extremely high filter pressure and non working bacwash procedures.
The old wisdom still applies here: "if it aint broken, don't fix it!"
Agentrivas

Postby Agentrivas » Sat 11 Jun, 2011 21:47

swimnsaveusa wrote:
NewPoolOwnerNJ wrote:I have a hayward 48SqFt DE filter that was brand new last summer.
I was using DE last season but after finishing the bag, I brought home Fiber Clear this past saturday..
opened filter, hosed the filter very very well. the cartridges still look brand new.
I put 9 full scoops of Fiber and the pressure rose 8psi filter ran for almost 6 hours and switched off (automatic timer).
Sunday filter ran full 8 hours but we didn't go out to check (was raining etc)
today evening when I went out, I found a algae in pool and pressure at 12psi (same as a new filter with no medium). I vacuumed an area and for sure, all the algae was coming back to pool unfiltered.
I put 3 more sccops. pressure rose 3 psi and some filtering started.
switched pump off and ON again. same issue now. pressure is back to 12psi.
I opened filter to check and could not see loose cartridge etc. noleaks either from filter or jandy valve.

Any clue why the filter is not really working with FiberClear as expected?
Thanks in advance.
:sick:

Fiber clear required a completely different approach than D.E.

First, it only required half the amount compared to D.E., so you put too much in. The pool store which sold it to you should have told you that. Also, before you put it into the skimmer, it needs to be mixed in a bucket of water, you cannot just place it into the skimmer as you would have with D.E. Hopefully this will help fix the issue you had.

Return to “Routine Pool Cleaning & Maintenance”