Any experience with Fiber Clear filter mediume?

Adding chemicals, vacuuming, backwashing,
brushing, filter care, filter cleaning, replacing
worn or broken pool parts
swimstuff

Postby swimstuff » Mon 09 May, 2011 12:38

Fiber Clear filters approximately 100% finer than DE (2 micron vs 4 to 5 microns). This means that, when you first switch to Fiber Clear, you will be removing particles/debris that the DE was unable to trap. This will cause, in some cases, more rapid pressure rise during the initial application. Once the pool water has become accustomed to moving through 2 micron filtration and the residual material that the DE was unable to filter is removed, backwash cycles will lengthen to more normal length. Of course, your pool water will be clearer and cleaner than with any other media!
One caution, do not use any clarifiers with Fiber Clear as they will cause premature pressure rise. With 2 micron filtration, one does not need clarifiers and you will just be wasting your money and causing much more work for yourself. Some chemical compounders are also using clarifiers in algaecides and phosphate removers, so be sure to check with your pool professional or chemical compounder to determine if they are doing so.

czechmate
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: 16 x 32 gunite21000 gal., Diamond Brite Blue, Swimquip XL pump, DE36

Postby czechmate » Mon 09 May, 2011 19:33

[quote="swimstuff"]Fiber Clear filters approximately 100% finer than DE (2 micron vs 4 to 5 microns). This means that, when you first switch to Fiber Clear, you will be removing particles/debris that the DE was unable to trap. This will cause, in some cases, more rapid pressure rise during the initial application. Once the pool water has become accustomed to moving through 2 micron filtration and the residual material that the DE was unable to filter is removed, backwash cycles will lengthen to more normal length. quote]

PLEASE DO NOT PRINT LIES HERE.
YOU DO NOT HAVE TO RESPOND TO OLD POSTS JUST TO RUN UP YOUR TAB, BY COMMENTING ON PRODUCT THAT YOU OBVIOUSLY DO NOT KNOW AND NEVER USED.
Fiberclear IS NOT 100 times finer than DE powder. Any school kid can see that at 6 feet distance.
As far as the ability to clean it is mostly hype and false claims by manufacturer.
FiberClear increases the backpressure, puts pump in the terrible strain, severely retards your cleaning cycle and uses therefore a lot more expensive electricity. Result is same clarity as with DE media for a triple cost on el. power.
There has been plenty of response here for anyone, who wants to know the product, so please do not spread false info. Thank you.
czechmate
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: 16 x 32 gunite21000 gal., Diamond Brite Blue, Swimquip XL pump, DE36

Postby czechmate » Thu 12 May, 2011 09:25

Just to add information on FiberClear product, that may help people to research its potential ability to clean water:
This material is man made paper cellulose or sort of pulp, very simmilar to what we used to have in our attics for thermal insulation. This fine shredded paper cellulose was since replaced by more efficient, lighter materials with less moisture absorbance.
It seems that this industry made a concerted effort to get part of the business from established media materials in water filtering, mainly DE because of its risen cost.
I can alone testify that I personally had to remedy my friends clogged up DE elements by installing brand new one's in his DE filter. It was at the cost of 10 year supply of DE.
This happened after a year of extremely high filter pressure and non working bacwash procedures.
The old wisdom still applies here: "if it aint broken, don't fix it!"
Agentrivas

Postby Agentrivas » Sat 11 Jun, 2011 21:47

swimnsaveusa wrote:
NewPoolOwnerNJ wrote:I have a hayward 48SqFt DE filter that was brand new last summer.
I was using DE last season but after finishing the bag, I brought home Fiber Clear this past saturday..
opened filter, hosed the filter very very well. the cartridges still look brand new.
I put 9 full scoops of Fiber and the pressure rose 8psi filter ran for almost 6 hours and switched off (automatic timer).
Sunday filter ran full 8 hours but we didn't go out to check (was raining etc)
today evening when I went out, I found a algae in pool and pressure at 12psi (same as a new filter with no medium). I vacuumed an area and for sure, all the algae was coming back to pool unfiltered.
I put 3 more sccops. pressure rose 3 psi and some filtering started.
switched pump off and ON again. same issue now. pressure is back to 12psi.
I opened filter to check and could not see loose cartridge etc. noleaks either from filter or jandy valve.

Any clue why the filter is not really working with FiberClear as expected?
Thanks in advance.
:sick:

Fiber clear required a completely different approach than D.E.

First, it only required half the amount compared to D.E., so you put too much in. The pool store which sold it to you should have told you that. Also, before you put it into the skimmer, it needs to be mixed in a bucket of water, you cannot just place it into the skimmer as you would have with D.E. Hopefully this will help fix the issue you had.

Return to “Routine Pool Cleaning & Maintenance”