Air in my return

Adding chemicals, vacuuming, backwashing,
brushing, filter care, filter cleaning, replacing
worn or broken pool parts
mandygirl
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 25k gallon above ground pool, Cartridge Filter.

Air in my return

Postby mandygirl » Thu 25 Jun, 2009 22:06

Hi,
I have an above ground swimming pool and there seems to be a problem with air when I vacuum. My family just moved in to a new home with no instruction from the prior owner on the pool. We just replaced the pump and have a cartridge filter. There does not seem to be any air when running the filter daily, only when we vacuum. I am priming it, making sure that there is no air in the hose, but as soon as I start to vacuum you can see the air coming from the return?? I tried releasing the air from the filter but it is never ending!! Where is the air coming from, I do not want to burn out my new pump!
Thanks,
Mandy

Denali
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Air in my return

Postby Denali » Thu 25 Jun, 2009 23:13

mandygirl wrote:Hi,
I have an above ground swimming pool and there seems to be a problem with air when I vacuum. My family just moved in to a new home with no instruction from the prior owner on the pool. We just replaced the pump and have a cartridge filter. There does not seem to be any air when running the filter daily, only when we vacuum. I am priming it, making sure that there is no air in the hose, but as soon as I start to vacuum you can see the air coming from the return?? I tried releasing the air from the filter but it is never ending!! Where is the air coming from, I do not want to burn out my new pump!
Thanks,
Mandy

Hi,

One place to check is the vacuum hose itself. There can be a small leak in the hose that pulls in air. Another place to check is at the pump. Make sure the lid oring is seated and the lid is on tight. With the added length of vacuum hose that the pump has to pull water through it will sometimes pull in air at the pump lid if not tightly sealed.

Hope that helps as a couple of places to check.

Return to “Routine Pool Cleaning & Maintenance”