Salt Level Drops

Adding chemicals, vacuuming, backwashing,
brushing, filter care, filter cleaning, replacing
worn or broken pool parts
dbrauner
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Sport bottom gunite pool, 17X34, pentair cartridge filter and 2 speed pump. Goldline salt system. 14,000 gallons of water.

Salt Level Drops

Postby dbrauner » Sun 28 Jun, 2009 12:57

I have a 17K gallon pool with otherwise normal chems. I have a Goldline Salt System that has worked fair to not so well in the nearly 5 years I have owned it. The newest problem is that I can not get the salt level to stay in the 2800-2400 PPM range for the thing to make chlorine. It is driving me nuts and, although I know that adding salt is the last resort, absent of any other suggestions, I know of nothing else to do. It's costing me tons of cash for salt.

The Goldline people, now Hayward people, are no help.

Please help if you can.
Dave Brauner

AzWiz
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 22,000 diving pool (8.5' depth in deep end), Pebble Tec (GoldLine) T-15 salt system. Pool replastered by Shasta 5 yrs ago. Have replaced original cell once - warranty prorated - cost $475 + install. Hayward Sand filter w/10 yr warranty split last year. Had to argue w/Leslie's to get it replaced. Hayward did. Leslie's no longer has my business. 1.5 hp Hayward pump.

Salt Level Drops

Postby AzWiz » Thu 02 Jul, 2009 23:02

dbrauner wrote:I can not get the salt level to stay in the 2800-2400 PPM range for the thing to make chlorine.
Dave Brauner

Hi, I'm new to this forum and wish I had discovered it sooner. There are quite a few posts with very good information. It could have saved me replacing a cell in my Goldline/Pebble Tec salt system. I hope that you are taking your water to a dealer with an electronic salt tester, as those strips are very inaccurate. If you are using the display panel on the system, then that could be part of the problem. It is almost always incorrect !! I know, I almost did the same thing.

In one forum here an engineer described how he got frustrated having to replace the $500 cell every year or so. It turns out that the sensor in the cell is used to detect both the salinity level as well as water temperature. If one is off, so is the other. His solution was to bypass that sensor. If you can't find his post, let me know & I'll send you a copy.

Chris
AprilSummitt

Salt Level Drops

Postby AprilSummitt » Mon 17 Aug, 2009 17:16

Hi Dave:

I had the same problem with my salt-system. I found that the monitor would tell me I was low on salt, while in reality, I had some hard-water buildup on my cell. Once I cleaned it with muriatic acid, the monitor registered normal salt levels without my having added anything.

Good luck!
April
RMS1
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient

Salt Level Drops

Postby RMS1 » Sat 03 Oct, 2009 01:33

How are you testing the salinity level? i have a Y salt pool 80,000 gallons, and we test the salinity each morning and night. Call TMI Salt Pure in Wash state and they can hook you up with an analog meter to test the salt. Don't trust machines to give you the readings, do it yourself.

http://www.clean-pool-and-spa.com
Pool Clown
Swimming Pool Wizard
Swimming Pool Wizard
My Pool: Uses a Chlorine generator, not a Salt Water Generator (SWG).

Salt Level Drops

Postby Pool Clown » Mon 19 Oct, 2009 20:35

Dave,
Are you resetting the instant salt level on the unit?

Edit: Nevermind, Had not seen the thread was almost 4 mos old.
Factory warranty service for Pentair, Jandy, Raypak, Polaris, and Paramount pool cleaning systems.

Return to “Routine Pool Cleaning & Maintenance”