Adding chemicals, vacuuming, backwashing,
brushing, filter care, filter cleaning, replacing
worn or broken pool parts
alhajir
I'm new here
I'm new here

Low pressure return

Postby alhajir » Sat 04 Jul, 2009 00:06

I'm hoping someone can help me here. I have a Hayward EC40 DE filter. This is my first season ever with a pool (I bought the house late last year) so I dont know much about filter maintenance. Since opening the pool in April, I have been having very low pressure from the return. After several thoughts and tinkering, I finally took the filter apart and soaked the fingers in muartic acid. After a couple of hours, I put everything back and the return was really good finally, only to die down to nothing couple of hours later. I went back to the filter and it seems I did not tighten down the screws as there is a leak from the top of the filter.

I plan on tightening it tomorrow, but would that be the problem or can the low pressure from the return be something else? I am running out of ideas and sick of this problem. I have put so much money into this and have yet to use the pool. Please help anyone!

Swim Today
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Low pressure return

Postby Swim Today » Sat 04 Jul, 2009 13:09

You said the filter was an EC 40 so I'm guessing we are talking about an above ground pool. Low pressure has two main causes. A restriction in the filter or lines usually from too much debris or air, or the motor not working right. There is also a third to consider which would be the system is not hooked up entirely correct. Make sure everything is hooked up in line correctly. Most parts are marked with an inlet and an outlet where they come together. Mark sure all the water coming into each component is entering through the inlet and not the outlet side. If all the hook ups are good go to step two. Check the motor for any obstructions. When it is running does it sound like it is under stress on runs fairly quiet and smooth. Unplug the motor and remove the basket from the front. Reach your hand in and feel inside for any debris build up inside the pump. Can you freely spin the impeller it with your hand? Remove any debris if present. If that checks out then the problem must be the filter. If you have any other components like a chlorinate try removing those so it's just the filter and motor. if the problem goes away then add one piece back at a time till you find the problem piece. If it is just the filter and the problem is still present first make sure all the air is bled from the system. The two main spots to do this is from the trap at the front of the motor and from the air bleed on the filter. If all the air is out and the problem is still present try running your filter without any D.E. If that clears up then back off on the amount of D.E you are using in the system. The ec40 is 3lbs and never more then 4lbs. also make sure all your connections are tight and no leaks are present. If the problem is still present then you have a damaged piece somewhere that needs replacing.
Seeing how you said everything wasn't tight then I'm guessing it was air in the system make sure the system is completely air bled.
alhajir
I'm new here
I'm new here

Low pressure return

Postby alhajir » Sun 05 Jul, 2009 10:07

well the thing is, when i bump it and restart the machine, it has very high pressure from the return. after couple of hours, it dies down. so can it really be the motor or filter if it starts with high pressure? i check the motor and there doesnt seem like theres nething in there. i can try taking it apart and have a pool shop take a look at it.
Swim Today
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Low pressure return

Postby Swim Today » Sun 05 Jul, 2009 14:57

Save your money at the moment. If you bump it and the problem goes away for a bit then the problem is more likely with the filter. Is the water clear now or is it discolored. The thing with D.E filters is they filter such a fine particle that if the water is not clear and there is a lot of debris and particles to filter out it needs to be bumped and back washed more frequently till the water gets clear. If the water is clear try emptying all the D.E out of the filter. Completely wash everything out so you can just run the filter empty. If the problem does not come back then you had too much debris or probably too much D.E in the filter. Remember an EC 40 only needs 3lbs of D.E any more and you start to plug the system. If it does come back then it means the fingers are still gunked up with oils and whatever else even if you just soaked them. You may have to give them another soak or replace them if they won't wash clean. There will be a point where the fingers just have done all they can and no amount of acid baths will work anymore and they just need to be replaced.

The fact that you say it takes a couple of hours for the pressure to go down leads me to think the water is not clear and you filter is just doing its job. If your water is clear then either the fingers are still gunked up or you have too much debris and/or D.E in the tank.
alhajir
I'm new here
I'm new here

Low pressure return

Postby alhajir » Sun 05 Jul, 2009 15:24

i already soaked the fingers in mauratic acid and cleaned inside the filter. when i put everything back together, i started the filter and the return was strong. i then added 4 lbs of de (what i was told to add). but your saying i need to soak the fingers in more acid or is there another solution i need to soak it in? if i have to replace it, do i replace just the fingers or the entire filter?
Swim Today
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Low pressure return

Postby Swim Today » Sun 05 Jul, 2009 15:54

I know you already soaked the fingers but you may have to do it again. What you want to determine though is if you run the filter empty with no D.E does the problem occur. Be sure you let the filter run for as long as it normally would to see if the problem starts. You said it is usually a couple of hours so use that as your gauge. If the problem does not occur, it's the amount of D.E combined with what is being filtered out of the water clogging the filter. Try cutting back on the amount of D.E used. If the problem does occur with an empty filter then it is the fingers. At that point try soaking them again and maybe in a bit stronger dilution. Muriatic acid is what you would use. It will cost about the same to replace all the finger as to just buy a new filter, and if it is the fingers you will want to replace all of them at the same time. I would just get a new filter in that case. Also is your water clear or discolored. Remember if it's discolored this is kind of normal for a D.E filter.

Return to “Routine Pool Cleaning & Maintenance”