Green Pool

Adding chemicals, vacuuming, backwashing,
brushing, filter care, filter cleaning, replacing
worn or broken pool parts
beastone

Green Pool

Postby beastone » Sun 06 Sep, 2009 13:16

My pool is green, however the levels of the chemicals are fine. I cannot figure out why it is green. I have taken samples in to have them tested and they can't figure it out either. Does anyone know what else this could be? :?:

chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Green Pool

Postby chem geek » Mon 07 Sep, 2009 01:46

Green is either algae or copper. Is the water cloudy green? If so, it's more likely to be algae. If it is a clear green, then it's more likely to be copper. Pool stores saying the water chemistry is fine doesn't mean that it is. You should get your own good test kit, either the Taylor K-2006 you can get at a good online price here or the TF100 from tftestkits.net here with the latter kit having 36% more volume of reagents so is less expensive per test.

If you do have algae, then read Defeating Algae to learn how to get rid of it while if you have copper in the water, then use a metal sequestrant, possibly after diluting the water first.
beastone

Green Pool

Postby beastone » Tue 15 Sep, 2009 12:25

Just wanted to let you know that I found a product that took care of the "Green" color in my pool. It is called Jack's Magic yellow stuff and it worked great my pool is now getting clear. no longer green. :thumbup:
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Green Pool

Postby chem geek » Wed 16 Sep, 2009 00:19

That means it was algae since Jack's Magic Yellow Stuff is an algicide. You could have just shocked with bleach or chlorinating liquid at less expense. If you don't get a good test kit and adjust your water parameters as described in the Pool School your pool could get algae again.
MagicJack

Green Pool

Postby MagicJack » Wed 16 Sep, 2009 03:15

Jack's Magic Yellow Stuff is Sodium Bromide. Most likely your cyanuric acid is high, which causes your regular chlorine levels to be ineffective. Your pool is now a bromine pool for a while. Bromine does not combine with cyanuric acid and is therefore much more chemically active than chlorine that's combined with high levels of cyanuric acid. Since bromine is not protected from the sun, you will notice a faster degradation of the bromine levels.What is your cyanuric acid level?
andrrewdamien
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Green Pool

Postby andrrewdamien » Wed 13 Jun, 2012 08:17

There are a few factors why a green pool. You could have an uneven water biochemistry. You may not be including enough swimming pool water or have a more innovative substance issue.
paint marker

Return to “Routine Pool Cleaning & Maintenance”