Chlorinator indicating 'no flow' repeatedly

Adding chemicals, vacuuming, backwashing,
brushing, filter care, filter cleaning, replacing
worn or broken pool parts
dak_rich

Postby dak_rich » Sat 17 Oct, 2009 18:38

Hi all,

I've been renting at a property that has a pool for about one year and still new at this.

In the last few months, my the 'no flow' indicator on my Hurlcon chlorinator keeps lighting up. I discovered that one of the leads in the chlorinator is covered by a white layer and needed cleaning with acid solution.

The thing is this is happening quite frequently. After the last cleaning, the no flow indicator lit up again only after a few days. I used to have to clean the chlorinator only every few months. My pool shop says that the water chemicals are fine.

I'm currently in Melbourne where it is the start of spring in case the weather has any effect. The pool is saltwater, inground about 60k liters, sand filter.

Appreciate any help - especially if you have low cost solutions.

Cheers.

mas985
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro

Postby mas985 » Sun 18 Oct, 2009 11:46

You could try and coat the wires with battery terminal grease. This should prevent the corrosion which seems to causing the problem. If the control box fairly close to the pool? Also, are you near the ocean?
Mark
Hydraulics 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Ed 101
18'x36' 20k gallon plaster/gunite pool, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge Filter, Solar Panels, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater
dak_rich

Postby dak_rich » Sun 18 Oct, 2009 17:24

Hi Mark,

Thanks for your reply. However, that white layer appears in the inside of the chlorinator box. It's the lead that connects to the blue wire to the chlorinator control. It's basically a bolt with the head on the inside of the chlorinator and the threaded bit protruding outside of the box.
mas985
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro

Postby mas985 » Sun 18 Oct, 2009 18:06

I think I understand now. It sounds like calcium might be collecting on the probe. If PH, TA and CH are all in the upper ranges, calcium may be dropping out of solution and scaling the probe. Post back what the pool store measured. Have you tested the water yourself? It might be worth while just to make sure.
Mark
18'x36' 20k gallon plaster/gunite pool, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge Filter, Solar Panels, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater
dak_rich

Postby dak_rich » Tue 20 Oct, 2009 07:10

Hi,

Thanks again for your reply. I'll post the measurements as soon as I get a chance to drop by the pool store.

Cheers.
dak_rich

Postby dak_rich » Sun 01 Nov, 2009 02:25

Hi Mark,

Readings from the pool shop below. Let me know what you think.

current ideal
Total dissoled solids 800 <2500
Stabiliser 75 30-50
Total chlorine 0..2 1-3
Free chlorine 0 1-3
ph 7.8 7.5
Acid demand drops 2

Total alkalinity 99 80-125
Adj total alkalinity 73
Calcium 198 200-275
Optimiser 0 26-32

Copper 0 0
Iron 0 0
Manganese 0 0
Algae None
Clarity Clear
Current salt: 3760
Ioniser No

Pool details:
Volume: 55,000 L
Finish: Concrete
Outdoor

They told me to:
1. Add 4.18kg of Bioguard balance pak 100
2. Add 883 mls liquid acid
3. Add 2.31 kg of Bioguard Balance Pak 300
4. Add 2 cups of BioGuard PowerChlor
5. Add 1 bag of salt

I had to shell out about 50 bucks and had a distinct feeling that I was being duped. This was a new pool shop that I haven't been to.

Does anybody know what's causing the deposits on the leads?

Thank fellas.

Postby Guest » Sun 01 Nov, 2009 04:15

High pH
mas985
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro

Postby mas985 » Sun 01 Nov, 2009 10:50

From the manual:

VX Series cells have a negative charge sensor that monitors the flow and salt levels of the
water. This sensor is designed to be fail safe. As it is negative charges deposits of calcium or
other debris may be deposited on it and cause it to indicate a low salt or no flow condition.
Should a low salt condition be indicated, have your salt level checked at your local pool shop.
If the low salt condition persists, or a no flow condition is indicated when the supply pump is
operating, you may need to manually clean your chlorinator Cell.

PH and TA is a bit high but CA is on the low end so calcium shouldn't really drop out of solution but maybe the negative charge makes it worse. Drop the PH and TA a bit with the acid they sold you and see if that helps.
Mark
Cathybl

Postby Cathybl » Fri 22 Nov, 2013 20:00

Thank you - this was very helpful. Mine did not need cleaning but had come loose. Would never think to look there. Cheers. :thumbup:

Return to “Routine Pool Cleaning & Maintenance”