For those using pleated cartridge filters

Adding chemicals, vacuuming, backwashing,
brushing, filter care, filter cleaning, replacing
worn or broken pool parts
HowardWalker
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 16 X 32 Blue Dolphin IG fiberglass, about 15K gallons. 1.5Hp Hayward pump, 3inch puck style Hayward cholrinator, 100 sq. ft. pleated cartridge filter. Jandy Valve controls and diverter for solar heating panels (three 4 X 10 panels on an elevated pressure treated wood rack).

For those using pleated cartridge filters

Postby HowardWalker » Sun 18 Apr, 2010 12:05

I have two 100 sq ft filters...one in use and one soaking in a 25 gallon Rubbermaid trash can in a solution of water and 20% Muratic acid (purchased at Home Depot for pool use). And I use a pair of elbow length acid resistant gloves to remove and replace the filters soaking (also purchased at HD).

Since I am using well water, and the Calcium is high (with trace amounts of iron and magnesium), I find the "acid soak" allows me a high level of success in cleaning a used filter after an overnight soak. I prewash the filter with a hose sprayer JET setting to remove loose material before placing the filter in the dilute acid bath.

Safe removal of the soaked filter from the trash can dictates the use of an acid resistant glove to grasp and lift the filter element. I then hold the pleated filter at a 45 degree angle, with the bottom setting on the concrete pool deck (away from the pool and near an underground 4 inch drain line to handle the runoff) and vigorously rinse with the JET setting of the hose sprayer.

This method seems to work well to restore the filter to a near new flow rate.

Since I wear safety glasses, I will make note that those attempting to do this wear some good eye covering.

Return to “Routine Pool Cleaning & Maintenance”