Testing copper levels of pool wizard

The Pool Wizard, Nature2, the Frog and other mineral systems for
simpler pool care. Non-chlorine Pristine Blue, Rainforest Blue and similar.
randytsuch

Testing copper levels of pool wizard

Postby randytsuch » Thu 27 Mar, 2008 19:49

I am looking at chlorine alternatives, and I am leaning towards a ion system at this point.

I am trying to compare pool wizard to the electrical ionizers.

My problem with pool wizard is that there is no testing involved, seems like you are supposed to change the charger every year, and the PW cartridge every few years.

How do you know how much copper is in your pool, and if you really need to change the charger? Over time, seems like you could end up with high (or low) concentrations of copper/silver/zinc, and not know it.

I would buy into the PW if I could get past this issue.

Randy

Larry
Pool Forums Admin
My Pool: Pool Pro
Exclusively tiled concrete pools

Re: Testing copper levels of pool wizard

Postby Larry » Fri 18 Apr, 2008 01:38

How do you know how much copper is in your pool, and if you really need to change the charger?

The copper in the pool water is in a highly isolated, complexed form. Specialized lab testing can offer accurate results, though this type of testing costs almost as much as the product itself.
Poolside copper tests can measure free ionic copper but cannot be used to determine the Pool Wizard's complexed copper levels.

Over time, seems like you could end up with high (or low) concentrations of copper/silver/zinc, and not know it.

Pool Wizard users usually wait until they see a fine "sheen" of algae appear on the walls or in the corners of the pool before adding a recharger. The algae can only grow when the mineral levels fall to near zero. High copper levels may result from copper in the fill water, plumbing or heating equipment, or algaecides.
The Pool Wizard Mineral dose ensures optimum levels that are attained when used in accordance with the recommended quantities. Low copper levels will result in algae growth.

Return to “Swimming Pool Mineral Systems”