pH keep shooting up

Problems relating to pH and total alkalinity.
Increase ph, increase TA. Reduce pH, reduce TA.
pH chemistry advice and techniques for the pool.
Eddles
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient
My Pool: 66000 litre indoor swimming pool with UV and sand filtration, and 1200 litre hot tub.

pH keep shooting up

Postby Eddles » Mon 18 Apr, 2022 05:27

Hi all,

I noticed that recently, the pH of my pool keep rising quite quickly, normally it takes forever to rise, but it seems to rise from 7.2 to 8.0 in the matter of one week. Only thing that has changed is that the pool cover has failed and is stuck open, would this cause the rise? I'm currently putting in 2kg of dry acid per week to counteract the rise. Everything else checks out fine, FC, CA, TA, CH all perfect. Thanks for advice in advance!

Teapot1
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: 12000 gallons vinyl liner,

Re: pH keep shooting up

Postby Teapot1 » Mon 18 Apr, 2022 07:43

FC, CA,TA,CH are all perfect according to?
The pool industry loves to sell and is very accomplished at doing so. Meanwhile with the help of Chemgeek and others we worked on the science to get to the real situation. If the pH rises rapidly you have too higher TA.
My TA is around 40 which means I have not had to add any pH minus in a few seasons, 1 litre of acid has lasted about 3 seasons from memory. What are your actual water test results as perfect does cut it because you wouldn't have a problem. We do new perfect, one that suits your pool and your pocket.
CYA level is also needed as it controls what goes on in the water.
I may not give you the answer you want to hear, but I will give an honest opinion of your situation as you decribe it.
Eddles
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient
My Pool: 66000 litre indoor swimming pool with UV and sand filtration, and 1200 litre hot tub.

Postby Eddles » Mon 18 Apr, 2022 11:52

Me and my Taylor FAS DPD test kit. To be precise, my TA is 130, not perfect but close. When I said CA, I meant CYA, apologies.
Teapot1
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: 12000 gallons vinyl liner,

Postby Teapot1 » Mon 18 Apr, 2022 13:16

It wasn't a criticism, it was a request for information. The industry publishes some guidelines but they are wrong in some cases which is why we ask.
TA of 130 will cause you pH rises. Reducing the TA to 60-80 will dramatically reduce the pH rise.
Cant help further without a full set of water test results.
I may not give you the answer you want to hear, but I will give an honest opinion of your situation as you decribe it.

Return to “pH & Total Alkalinity”