Aeration

Problems relating to pH and total alkalinity.
Increase ph, increase TA. Reduce pH, reduce TA.
pH chemistry advice and techniques for the pool.
RonPace
Swimming Pool Wizard
Swimming Pool Wizard
My Pool: Uncovered inground 12x6M, Cl and Ph solenoid doser. Glass media filter. South France

Aeration

Postby RonPace » Mon 15 Aug, 2022 07:32

This seems a good place to ask my question...

Following my late discovery in another section of the benefits, necessity even, of aeration, I am looking to do this seriously instead of regular lowering in the adapted submersible pump suggested by Teapot, but maybe I will have to do as Dennis suggests and have a dedicated aerator with airbricks.

Before I look at this option - how effective is having the returns pointing upwards? I have four returns with adjustable eyeballs that co-incidentaly allow a 25mm 45 degree angle fitting inside and very nicely shoots the return up that breaks the water surface with what is a very soothing sound and quite an activity of water mix! Everyone likes it! But what is this actually doing for my aeration - obviously not a huge amount, but I must be getting some benefit, yes? Enough to be doing good to the pool?

Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12000 gallons vinyl liner,

Re: Aeration

Postby Teapot1 » Mon 15 Aug, 2022 11:42

Yes it all helps but you get diminishing returns so you'll get to a point where it will stop being effective. The very fine bubbles will strip out a lot more quickly.
I may not give you the answer you want to hear, but I will give an honest opinion of your situation as you decribe it.
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Mon 15 Aug, 2022 12:08

Yes it will do some good but slowly
A large air pump with 4 large air stones will give you loads of air from the bottom
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Velda-125099-6000-Silenta-Pump/dp/B00388KBIW
RonPace
Swimming Pool Wizard
Swimming Pool Wizard
My Pool: Uncovered inground 12x6M, Cl and Ph solenoid doser. Glass media filter. South France

Postby RonPace » Mon 15 Aug, 2022 13:27

I expected such an answer! Pity as it would have been ideal!

So it has to be a proper pump. Tell me Dennis, the pump that you suggest - what do you think of this idea: I never have used my drain at the deep end of the pool. Could I maybe use the pipe to feed the air delivery tube down to the deep end and fix the stones over the drain plate?
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Mon 15 Aug, 2022 14:19

You don't want a permanent thing only when you need to raise pH
I just have a connection to the pump then split it with a tee and then put two tees on the two pipes and the airstones on another tee

Return to “pH & Total Alkalinity”