One for Teapot...

Problems relating to pH and total alkalinity.
Increase ph, increase TA. Reduce pH, reduce TA.
pH chemistry advice and techniques for the pool.
RonPace
Swimming Pool Wizard
Swimming Pool Wizard
My Pool: Uncovered inground 12x6M, Cl and Ph solenoid doser. Glass media filter. South France

One for Teapot...

Postby RonPace » Fri 03 Feb, 2023 06:55

Hi Teapot - I hope you are around over the winter..?

I must say that overall this year, the pool has been a joy to handle following your maintenance comments, so if I not said it before, thanks!

Now, somewhere you said that you run a pool at what sounded an insanely low TA. I have always been around the 150+ mark. Some weeks ago, I threw in a few jugs of acid and not tested it since as it is cold and the water is crystal clear. Today the sun is out, so I tested using my scuba2:

TC. 1
FC. 1
PH. 7.1
TA. 0
CYA. 53

I run the pump only three hours these cold days with the return jets aimed well into the air. As I say the water is beautiful without any hint of algae 'bloom' despite no brushing for a while. I am well pleased!

Obviously I need some more Cl, which has been taken care of by switching the SWG back on and a splash of bleach I have left over.

Re TA - does TA naturally rise or lower? ie if I leave it be as is, will it rise with the April rain? Or should I help it along? I know baking soda does the trick, but is there a generic product I can use if I cannot get baking soda?

Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12000 gallons vinyl liner,

Re: One for Teapot...

Postby Teapot1 » Fri 03 Feb, 2023 12:44

Hi Ron, its difficult to achieve a 0 TA so I will always question such a result. I imagine the water temp is quite low so always worth bringing it into the warm and up to about 20C. Some reagent reactions happen very slowly or not at all at cold temperatures.
Your pH would usually naturally fall slightly around a TA below 30ppm but will be stable up to a TA of 55-60 ppm. When you get to 80-120 it will naturally rise.
I may not give you the answer you want to hear, but I will give an honest opinion of your situation as you decribe it.
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Sat 04 Feb, 2023 02:56

RonPace wrote: but is there a generic product I can use if I cannot get baking soda?

Baking soda is a base product and is readily available anywhere, the other products are generic
RonPace
Swimming Pool Wizard
Swimming Pool Wizard
My Pool: Uncovered inground 12x6M, Cl and Ph solenoid doser. Glass media filter. South France

Postby RonPace » Sat 04 Feb, 2023 03:38

Thanks Teapot and Dennis - and here an apology - I thanked teapot for the input last year but not you Dennis, who also gave me quite a bit of info! My humble etc!

For some odd reason, I cannot buy 'bulk' bicarb of soda around here. Maybe the folk regard themselves as too affluent to do their own batch baking! Who knows!

In fairness to my results, the little scuba is a little erratic, especially with TA testing, so I read three times and take an average. The return was two readings of 'Lo' and one of '0', so yes, I should have put Lo instead of 0... And the water temp is near 4 degrees C.

That leads me to another question - what is the ideal temperature to test?
Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Teapot1 » Sat 04 Feb, 2023 10:59

Ahh of course, the scuba 2, I was forgetting, my apologies Ron. Scuba is pre programmed with "industry" levels which we now know are too high for most pools but great for pH- sales. Basically anything under it 80ppm will show as low. Would suggest another low cost test kit for Alk. Exactly as you say if you have a local baker ask them for bi-carb but only if you really need it, test first.

Ideal temperature is noted in whatever test kit you are using as their reagents gennerally have been set to a temperature but as a rule its around 20 C +/- 1C
I may not give you the answer you want to hear, but I will give an honest opinion of your situation as you decribe it.
RonPace
Swimming Pool Wizard
Swimming Pool Wizard

Postby RonPace » Fri 03 Mar, 2023 06:06

I called Lovibond, from whom I purchased the Scuba 2, complained about my random readings, but it was obvious that they did not want to know as I have not had the promised call back for weeks now!

This morning, on the TA register, I returned three readings: 130 then 0 then Low. This cannot be right surely?

I opted for Scuba because it was well advertised for serious pool owners and in an affordable bracket. But not happy if it has been pre-programmed to suit an ulterior sales motive! I also wanted an electronic meter as I am not good with some colours and do not trust my eyes to accurately determine a colour.

Without spending hundreds - or maybe I have to - what would you recommend to a pool owner who is not professional, but wants to get it right?
Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Teapot1 » Sun 05 Mar, 2023 04:01

Hi Ron, although originally a fan of the Scuba, mainly because it was one of the first digital affordable testers they began to suffer due to the dunking in water test method so I recommend a non dunk tester. Then its pre programmed Lo settings as mentioned previously.
On digital units I recommend La Motte Color Q's I have sold loads of these as replacement for failed Scuba's.
There are of course titration testers which are still popular. I still know the MD of La Motte Europe so if you get stuck let me know.
RonPace
Swimming Pool Wizard
Swimming Pool Wizard

Postby RonPace » Tue 07 Mar, 2023 04:44

Yes, I see that the Color Q is praised by others, so I might take a plunge and get a kit.

Lovibond still have not returned my call, and the Scuba continues to give random readings, so maybe time to ditch it.

I will report back on the ColorQ...

Return to “pH & Total Alkalinity”