Pool water greenish?

Problems relating to pH and total alkalinity.
Increase ph, increase TA. Reduce pH, reduce TA.
pH chemistry advice and techniques for the pool.
jkik
I'm new here
I'm new here

Pool water greenish?

Postby jkik » Wed 29 Jun, 2016 19:23

Okay so my pool water looks clear green. Could it possibly from the chlorine and blue liner?? I have a 3300 gallon above ground pool that's is 14 x 36. I did test it and my results were:

Chlorine: 2.0
Br: 4.4
Ph level: 7.6
Alkalinity: 300

paulbest
Swimming Pool Wizard
Swimming Pool Wizard

Re: Pool water greenish?

Postby paulbest » Wed 17 Aug, 2016 22:03

Green water is most often a sign of algae, not necessarily bacteria, but different pools have different bacteria that can affect the water. If the pH balance of the water isn’t in the right place, it will allow bacteria to flourish, leading to further discoloration. If the pH level is too low, the water is acidic and over time, it will erode plastic and metal components. A pH level that is too high will not kill bacteria and will allow scale buildup of calcium and other minerals. A healthy pool is between 7.2 and 7.8 on the pH scale.

1. pH measures the acidity or basicity of the water. The pH scale goes from 0 to 14, and 7 is considered neutral. Anything under 7 is acidic, while anything above 7 is considered basic. Pool pH of around 7.4 is best.
2.TA (total alkalinity) levels should be 80-120 ppm. Total Alkalinity strongly influences your pH level, so if your pH is off, be sure to check the alkalinity.
3. It is important to keep calcium hardness levels below 400 ppm, but the most desirable range is usually 180-220 ppm.
4. Free chlorine levels should be at least 1.0 ppm.

if everything is below or above the normal range, proper adjustment is required.

TIPS:

Test 2-3x per week, adding adjustment chemicals as needed.
Run the pump after adding chemicals, to help distribute.
Add one chemical at a time, or add them into different areas.
Test and adjust in order. First alkalinity, then pH, then calcium.
Use the Saturation Index to consider water Temperature.
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: Pool water greenish?

Postby Denniswiseman » Thu 18 Aug, 2016 08:52

Reduce your TA with muriatic acid and aerate to raise your PH if it drops significantly
What is your CYA as an excessive amount will reduce your chlorine effectiveness

Return to “pH & Total Alkalinity”