Alkalinity targets different

Problems relating to pH and total alkalinity.
Increase ph, increase TA. Reduce pH, reduce TA.
pH chemistry advice and techniques for the pool.
lmelanson
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 25.5 round inground galvanized steel with liner. Hayward sand filter and 1.5 hp pump

Alkalinity targets different

Postby lmelanson » Sun 21 Aug, 2016 14:17

Hi, I am new to your site. Received the TF 100 and started testing. I have owned the pool for 7 years so I am not new to water chemistry but am a novice at best. One thing that confuses me is the differing targets from my existing pool strips (pool store) and what is recommended on tfp site. Biogard test strips say normal alkalinity is 125-150, your site says alkalinity in a chlorine vinyl pool should be 50-90+ This seems to be a big difference as a target. I am now at 150 meaning withing the norms of Biogard system but very high in the TFP system. Can someone shed light before I start the difficult task of reducing TA?

Re: Alkalinity targets different

Postby Guest » Sun 21 Aug, 2016 15:12

TA is simple to lower with muriatic acid. You need to lower it to at least 50ppm but I like TA around 70-80ppm. If you do lower it with acid, recheck 6-8 hours later and raise PH if needed. I've always been told and experienced high TA = cloudy water

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Postby Guest » Sun 21 Aug, 2016 15:12

TA is simple to lower with muriatic acid. You need to lower it to at least 50ppm but I like TA around 70-80ppm. If you do lower it with acid, recheck 6-8 hours later and raise PH if needed. I've always been told and experienced high TA = cloudy water

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lmelanson
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 25.5 round inground galvanized steel with liner. Hayward sand filter and 1.5 hp pump

Postby lmelanson » Sun 21 Aug, 2016 21:06

My water has been crystal clear all year. Still looking for answers on why these targets can be so far off and how do I know who is right? Why would a large pool chem store/supplier suggest on the manufacturer test strips that 125-150 TA is normal range when TFP is suggesting 50-90?
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Mon 22 Aug, 2016 04:12

Trust the TFP contributors they have endless experience of different pools and are very knowledgeable and have proved wrong some old fashion ideas (like a column of acid in the deep end)
Other pool strips suggest 80-120 but get a test kit, the strips vary so much
Another thing is water chemistry is unique to your particular pool. What works for you may not work for others
As previously stated by Guest TA is simple to lower with muriatic acid. You need to lower it to at least 50ppm but I like TA around 70-80ppm. If you do lower it with acid, recheck 6-8 hours later and raise PH if needed
Raise PH by aerating the water
BTW you don't mention your ph
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Tue 23 Aug, 2016 06:40

BioGuard largely promotes use of Trichlor tablets which are net acidic so need a higher TA level to have more carbon dioxide outgassing which raises the pH to offset it's lowering from the Trichlor. With Trichlor tabs, there will usually be a TA level where the pH will be relatively stable but the TA will drop slowly over time requiring baking soda (which BioGuard sells as Alkalinity Up for a much higher price than the identical Arm & Hammer Baking Soda).

When using a hypochlorite source of chlorine you want the TA to be lower since you don't want the carbon dioxide outgassing. Keeping the TA lower and pH target higher will reduce the rate of pH rise occurring from carbon dioxide outgassing. Basically, TA is a measure of the over-carbonation of the pool water. While the TA helps buffer pH to prevent wild swings, it is also a source of pH rise in its own right.

Return to “pH & Total Alkalinity”