scale at the waterline of my swimming pool

Problems relating to pH and total alkalinity.
Increase ph, increase TA. Reduce pH, reduce TA.
pH chemistry advice and techniques for the pool.
marisabelle

scale at the waterline of my swimming pool

Postby marisabelle » Sun 03 Sep, 2006 02:55

thank you for your help to balance my high ph to my swimming pool, pls can you tell me how can i clean the scale from the waterline of my swimming pool (made from tiles) i have a white and somewhere black like dirt stains.Is it possible to clean it with the pool full of water or i have to empty the water?The scale in my swimming pool caused after a long period of high Ph 8. now everything is checked normal TA,PH.
:oops:

Re: scale at the waterline of my swimming pool

Postby Guest » Sun 03 Sep, 2006 20:02

marisabelle wrote:thank you for your help to balance my high ph to my swimming pool, pls can you tell me how can i clean the scale from the waterline of my swimming pool (made from tiles) i have a white and somewhere black like dirt stains.Is it possible to clean it with the pool full of water or i have to empty the water?The scale in my swimming pool caused after a long period of high Ph 8. now everything is checked normal TA,PH.

The scale is possibly calcium carbonate and it has precipitated out because of your previously high pH. A lower pH, say around 7.0-7.2 should cause it to disappear within a few days.

To clean it by othere means there should not be a reason to drain the pool at all. I would try something mildly acedic, vinegar maybe.

From what region are you from? This would help me in determining what products are available.
marisabelle

Postby marisabelle » Mon 04 Sep, 2006 02:10

Anonymous wrote:
marisabelle wrote:thank you for your help to balance my high ph to my swimming pool, pls can you tell me how can i clean the scale from the waterline of my swimming pool (made from tiles) i have a white and somewhere black like dirt stains.Is it possible to clean it with the pool full of water or i have to empty the water?The scale in my swimming pool caused after a long period of high Ph 8. now everything is checked normal TA,PH.

The scale is possibly calcium carbonate and it has precipitated out because of your previously high pH. A lower pH, say around 7.0-7.2 should cause it to disappear within a few days.

To clean it by othere means there should not be a reason to drain the pool at all. I would try something mildly acedic, vinegar maybe.

From what region are you from? This would help me in determining what products are available.

Thank you pool user for your help!!! :lol: I live in Athens Greece . I have already try the vinaigre but i think it is to light detergent to clean this scale.Do you think i can try acid like muriatic acid with a spong or it will harm the tiles? i have already tried in a small corner of the waterline and i think it worked but i am afraid to use a bigger quantity not to unbalance the water or to destroy the tiles. What do you suggest pls??

Postby Guest » Mon 04 Sep, 2006 04:42

marisabelle wrote:
Anonymous wrote:

Thank you pool user for your help!!! :lol: I live in Athens Greece . I have already try the vinaigre but i think it is to light detergent to clean this scale.Do you think i can try acid like muriatic acid with a spong or it will harm the tiles? i have already tried in a small corner of the waterline and i think it worked but i am afraid to use a bigger quantity not to unbalance the water or to destroy the tiles. What do you suggest pls??

Yes muriatic acid should definitely work in dissolving the scale. I think that in your area Mareva carries a product that is somewhat between vinegar and muriatic acid in terms of strength. Ask your pool store about a Mareva product for your situation. I don't usually recommend any specific brand but in your case it may be applicable. For the muriatic acid the quantity you'll be using is rather negligible so it shouldn't affect the water balance that much. Just be very very careful in handling the product, rince thoroughly and you should be fine.

Best regards,
marisabelle

Postby marisabelle » Mon 04 Sep, 2006 13:24

Anonymous wrote:
marisabelle wrote:
Anonymous wrote:

Yes muriatic acid should definitely work in dissolving the scale. I think that in your area Mareva carries a product that is somewhat between vinegar and muriatic acid in terms of strength. Ask your pool store about a Mareva product for your situation. I don't usually recommend any specific brand but in your case it may be applicable. For the muriatic acid the quantity you'll be using is rather negligible so it shouldn't affect the water balance that much. Just be very very careful in handling the product, rince thoroughly and you should be fine.

Best regards,
[b

Thank you one more time for your advices!! They were realy helpfull!!! :lol: :idea:
Best regards from Greece[/b]

Return to “pH & Total Alkalinity”