Ph stuck at 7.8 but CL is 3.0

Problems relating to pH and total alkalinity.
Increase ph, increase TA. Reduce pH, reduce TA.
pH chemistry advice and techniques for the pool.
jillsinspain
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby jillsinspain » Tue 22 May, 2007 02:48

I have been dosing my pool with acid 3 times a day to bring down the ph and hopefully get rid of calcium scale around the water mark . The Ph remains at 7.8 but have a CL reading of 3.0. What am I doing wrong? My pool is 10 X 5 Metres with an average depth of 1.5 metres and I have been adding 210 millilitres granular acid each time. HELP!

me_too

Re: Ph stuck at 7.8 but CL is 3.0

Postby me_too » Tue 22 May, 2007 09:53

jillsinspain wrote:I have been dosing my pool with acid 3 times a day to bring down the ph and hopefully get rid of calcium scale around the water mark . The Ph remains at 7.8 but have a CL reading of 3.0. What am I doing wrong? My pool is 10 X 5 Metres with an average depth of 1.5 metres and I have been adding 210 millilitres granular acid each time. HELP!

For an 75m3 pool try adding 1.6 kilos of dry acid, this should bring the pH down to about 7.2.

Add about half, wait, test, add again, retest.
jillsinspain
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby jillsinspain » Tue 22 May, 2007 10:32

thank you for the reply.... I have been wondering if I should be using a different acid. I have been given "triclorosoclanurio". ....(Which is also the ingredient in my chlorine tablets that I normally keep in the skimmer boxes. but currently do not) I do not understand why my Ph is high and the Cl level also very high... I thought that if Ph is high then CL will be low. If I add the 1.5 kilos as you suggest will the Cl level then come down with a bit of time? or will I have to do something else?
me_too

Re: Ph stuck at 7.8 but CL is 3.0

Postby me_too » Tue 22 May, 2007 11:27

jillsinspain wrote:thank you for the reply.... I have been wondering if I should be using a different acid. I have been given "triclorosoclanurio". ....(Which is also the ingredient in my chlorine tablets that I normally keep in the skimmer boxes. but currently do not) I do not understand why my Ph is high and the Cl level also very high... I thought that if Ph is high then CL will be low. If I add the 1.5 kilos as you suggest will the Cl level then come down with a bit of time? or will I have to do something else?

Wait!

Trichlor is not an acid as is pH- (sodium bisulfate) or muriatic acid. Trichlor is chlorine, although an acidic source of chlorine (ph 2,8).

I would stop using trichlor in an attempt to lower the pH and use sodium bisulfate (pH-) or muriatic acid instead. Use these products (whichever you prefer) instead of the trichlor you've been given and report back.

Use caution when handling and dispensing muriatic acid.

Best,

Return to “pH & Total Alkalinity”