Total Ak

Problems relating to pH and total alkalinity.
Increase ph, increase TA. Reduce pH, reduce TA.
pH chemistry advice and techniques for the pool.
PooolBoy

Total Ak

Postby PooolBoy » Tue 22 May, 2007 20:53

So, I was trying to raise the Ph, but mistakenly used Sodium Bicarb instead of Soda Ash. Now my TA is out the roof (Sodiam Bicarb raised TA and obviously does nothing for the Ph and my Ph is extremely low due to the use of Muratic Acid to substancially lower the TA. Am I doing the right thing by trying to reduce my TA (100 ppm) prior to working on the Ph by use of Soda Ash??

me_too

Re: Total Ak

Postby me_too » Wed 23 May, 2007 11:02

PooolBoy wrote:So, I was trying to raise the Ph, but mistakenly used Sodium Bicarb instead of Soda Ash. Now my TA is out the roof (Sodiam Bicarb raised TA and obviously does nothing for the Ph and my Ph is extremely low due to the use of Muratic Acid to substancially lower the TA. Am I doing the right thing by trying to reduce my TA (100 ppm) prior to working on the Ph by use of Soda Ash??

Well if the TA is at 100 then there's not much harm done. Maintain a low pH, say around 7.0-7.2 and the TA will drop off eventually.
Buggsw
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Buggsw » Thu 24 May, 2007 23:05

100 TA is not bad at all. 80 - 110 is ideal. Raise your PH by aerating your pool. If you have a fountain or aerator, run it for 24 hours and you should see your PH rise without raising your TA at all. You can also raise your PH with borax which should not raise your TA by much, if at all.

Once your PH is back up, you can lower it back down to 7.2 with acid which will also lower your TA. Then aerate again to bring your PH up.

Return to “pH & Total Alkalinity”