ph test color orange?

Problems relating to pH and total alkalinity.
Increase ph, increase TA. Reduce pH, reduce TA.
pH chemistry advice and techniques for the pool.
idrawcartoons2

ph test color orange?

Postby idrawcartoons2 » Wed 30 May, 2007 20:37

I have tested our water and the alkalinity test came back a bright orange, which isn't even a color option. Last year the water started staying cloudy, so this year I changed the sand in the sand filter, shocked the pool and yesterday added some hth metal control, which seemed to help a little with the cloudiness.

I also shocked the pool yesterday with 5 one lb powder shocks and today it is registering no chlorine. My pool is an in-ground about 25,000-27,000 gallons, if I am figuring it right (18x36 oval) Had the same problem last year with chlorine not lasting a day.

When I saw the orange, I was dumbfounded. If anyone can help, I am desperate! :(

Idrawcartoons

Buggsw
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Buggsw » Thu 31 May, 2007 00:06

Post your test readings. I'm wondering especially if your CYA is too high.

You may need a lot more chlorine than you are using.

Are your test reagents old? It could be skewing your pH results.

So we need to know,
Cl
FC
CC
CH
pH
TA
CYA
idrawcartoons2

Postby idrawcartoons2 » Thu 31 May, 2007 08:33

Yes, the tests are old (two years at least) and I will be stopping by the pool store and get the water sampled. Just for information, I am around alot of trees and spend a good amount of time removing leaves, pine tree needles, et... from the pool prior to opening. I'll post the results this evening.

Thanks
idrawcartoons2

ph test color orange?

Postby idrawcartoons2 » Fri 01 Jun, 2007 20:11

I took the water sample to culligans. They determined my PH was fine. No chlorine. She had me place 8 gallons of pool shock liquid chlorine in it with some more algaecide. I ran it for 24 hours and the chlorine was perfect. Next she had me put in GLB Drop N Vac clarifier and told me it would be about 24 hours before I saw results. I put it in according to directions, which was run the pump for 2 hours and then stop it. 2 hours later, I'm seeing some great results. The water is clearing pretty good. I can see more and more sediment dropping to the bottom. She said after 24 hours I should vacuum the sediment directly out of the pool, not through filter.

I hope this does the trick. I'll keep posting the results here.

Thanks!
Buggsw
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Buggsw » Fri 01 Jun, 2007 21:13

Great! Sounds like your Culligan tech gave you great advice about using the liquid chlorine.

Return to “pH & Total Alkalinity”