zero alkalinity

Problems relating to pH and total alkalinity.
Increase ph, increase TA. Reduce pH, reduce TA.
pH chemistry advice and techniques for the pool.
bb

zero alkalinity

Postby bb » Tue 05 Jun, 2007 13:22

What could cause alka to be zero? Would cement falling into the water have any impact? I recently had stone work done around pool and landscapers dropped some in skimmer. Now my alka is zero and my metals (iron and coppers) are sky high bec I have a heater that the water runs though even when not heating. Water is clear. Any advice?
Approx 35,000 gals

Buggsw
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Buggsw » Wed 06 Jun, 2007 00:48

Depends on how much was dropped in. Did you get it out?

Zero?? Wow. You have metals in your pool because your pH has been too low.
The metals could possibly be skewing your test results. You can get some stuff to take metal out of water at your pool store, you should also add alkalinity increaser.

I'd take a sample of your water to the pool store and have them analyze it and recommend what to do.
me_too

Re: zero alkalinity

Postby me_too » Fri 08 Jun, 2007 09:11

bb wrote:What could cause alka to be zero? Would cement falling into the water have any impact? I recently had stone work done around pool and landscapers dropped some in skimmer. Now my alka is zero and my metals (iron and coppers) are sky high bec I have a heater that the water runs though even when not heating. Water is clear. Any advice?
Approx 35,000 gals

The iron may be coming from the cement mixture, some recipes include a healthy dose of iron (Bomix 6000) - I know, I did the experiment at one point - tested 'plain' pool water (0 ppm Fe, 0 ppm Cu) then added a sprinkle of Bomix 6000 in the 200 ml sample, the iron content jumped to 1.5 ppm. There was no change in the copper content.

(The pool owner had some construction work performed near the pool and his pool turned green, I wanted to see the effect of cement in pool water. I'm just weird, sorry.)

I don't recall if the alkalinity dropped though.

Certainly you would want to contain the iron and copper with a threshold inhibitor/chelating agent. Do this sooner than later, adding chlorine will oxidize the iron and probably turn the water a lovely shade of green.

Return to “pH & Total Alkalinity”