PH Up - Aerate or Chlorinate?

Problems relating to pH and total alkalinity.
Increase ph, increase TA. Reduce pH, reduce TA.
pH chemistry advice and techniques for the pool.
TRSA
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 50000l concrete pool with 3 bag sand filter. 9.5kw heat pump

PH Up - Aerate or Chlorinate?

Postby TRSA » Mon 01 Apr, 2019 07:30

Goal - Lower TA without using HCL

Solution -1) Aeration OR 2) Aeration with chlorination

I have found that when running my chlorinator, which is oversized for my pool, this raises my PH.

Can any gurus out there confirm if the chemistry of chlorination does infect raise PH or is there more to this.

Thanks
Nic
South Africa

Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Re: PH Up - Aerate or Chlorinate?

Postby Teapot » Wed 03 Apr, 2019 10:59

Clorinators do cause pH to rise. Lowering the TA will help with this issue. That said if you have CYA stabiliser in the pool water the pH rise is not a problem, the water won't go much above pH8.3 which is still OK
TRSA
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 50000l concrete pool with 3 bag sand filter. 9.5kw heat pump

Postby TRSA » Fri 05 Apr, 2019 10:03

Thank you for the feedback.

I own a swim school and with our bather load increasing ive had to take on a much stricter approach to chemistry.
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Postby Teapot » Fri 05 Apr, 2019 17:51

You may have taken on a strict approach to chemistry but is it correct? If CYA is present in your water then pH is not the dominant issue. When CYA is present it is the dominant force, the amount of disinfection from chlorine varies very little across the whole range of pH. This is contrary to what has been taught across the pool world.
If you have a large batherload it is doubtful an electro chlorinator could keep up with demand which is why direct dosing is more common in that situation.

Return to “pH & Total Alkalinity”