very high alkalinity and low PH

Problems relating to pH and total alkalinity.
Increase ph, increase TA. Reduce pH, reduce TA.
pH chemistry advice and techniques for the pool.
TiffyLynn
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: i have a 18x52 intex above ground pool, its a vinyl pool. the filter is a krystal clear filter pump Model 635T, with a cartridge filter. the pool does get some sun in the morning and some in the afternoon. we have a tree above it

very high alkalinity and low PH

Postby TiffyLynn » Mon 08 Jul, 2019 14:13

i have an intex above ground pool it holds a little over 6,000 gallons of water. we have always had problems with low ph and high alkalinity, but this year it has caused the pool to go green and nothing is where it needs to be, the levels are the same as the pool as right out of the tap.
TH-500
TC-0
FC-0
PH 6.2 POOL AND 6.8 FOR THE TAP
ALKALINITY 240
STABILIZER-0
we have tried using PH up but it does nothing, we add chlorine tablets roughly every week or so i usually have 2 in the floater and then we use chlorine stabilizer as well, and shock the pool every week. but with all the rain its been hard to keep up with shocking it. how can i lower the alkalinity but raise my ph, and then get my chlorine to stabilize. i am so frustrated with this pool this year. i have no additional pumps except for the one the pool came with last year. :x

Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Re: very high alkalinity and low PH

Postby Teapot » Mon 08 Jul, 2019 16:05

TiffyLynn wrote:this year it has caused the pool to go green and nothing is where it needs to be, the levels are the same as the pool as right out of the tap.

OK, low pH and high Alk does not cause a pool to go green, low chlorine and high nutrient (phosphate levels) cause a pool to go green.

With a TA of 240ppm aerating the pool will cause the pH to rise, you need to cause bubbles in your pool, fine bubbles if possible.
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: very high alkalinity and low PH

Postby Denniswiseman » Mon 08 Jul, 2019 16:50

How are you testing because something doesn't seem right
You have no CYA but your floater tabs will contain Trichlor or Dichlor which puts CYA in the water
For every 10 ppm Free Chlorine (FC) added by Trichlor, it also increases Cyanuric Acid (CYA) by 6 ppm.
For every 10 ppm FC added by Dichlor, it also increases CYA by 9 ppm.
For every 10 ppm FC added by Cal-Hypo, it also increases Calcium Hardness (CH) by at least 7 ppm

Shocking is just a high dose of chlorine
CYA is stabilisor
Use these common products to stabilise your water
Liquid chlorine (sodium hypochlorite or plain bleach)
Muriatic acid (hydrochloric acid) to lower pH and TA
Bicarbonate of soda to raise TA
Aeration will raise pH only
Soda ash will raise pH and TA
pH of 6.2 is acidic and should be raised immediatly by aeration as Teapot suggests
When you have a correct CYA level you can then put a shock level of liquid chlorine in as indicated in Chlorine / CYA Chart
Aerator

Return to “pH & Total Alkalinity”