Hi PH and Hi TA

Problems relating to pH and total alkalinity.
Increase ph, increase TA. Reduce pH, reduce TA.
pH chemistry advice and techniques for the pool.
FloridaFlash

Hi PH and Hi TA

Postby FloridaFlash » Sun 15 Jul, 2007 10:08

I've read many of the posts on this forum re: PH and TA. Most of them refer to good PH levels, but High TA. My problem is that I always have high PH readings and a TA of 200+. I can add acid to lower the pH to acceptable reading, but my TA doesn't change.

My "pool" is a in-ground plaster spa holding 2,000 gallons. My water is always crystal clear and I have no algae problems. I need to get my TA lowered without lowering my PH. Is this possible?

Thanks!

FloridaFlash

Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Backglass » Sun 15 Jul, 2007 10:23

Lowering TA is kind of tricky.

You have to raise the PH without raising the TA by aerating your water (fountain, bubbler, air hose, etc) first. Then when the PH is high, you bring BOTH down with Acid. You have to repeat this several times over until the TA comes down to acceptable levels.
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Sun 15 Jul, 2007 13:53

See this post for the procedure. When the TA is high, then the tendency is stronger for the pH to rise. So what you are seeing is not at all unusual and part of the solution is to lower the TA significantly.

Also, you may have water aeration features such as a waterfall, spillover, fountain that would exacerbate the problem, but lowering the TA will help regardless and if you do have such features, you can use them to speed up the lowering of TA.

Richard

Return to “pH & Total Alkalinity”