PH is different yellow from Taylor charts

Problems relating to pH and total alkalinity.
Increase ph, increase TA. Reduce pH, reduce TA.
pH chemistry advice and techniques for the pool.
xcableguy
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Taking care of a 60 foot pool constructed in the early 1900's located in the bowels of a school the same age.

PH is different yellow from Taylor charts

Postby xcableguy » Thu 02 Feb, 2023 08:43

Howdy,
New to pool care. We use the Taylor chemical test kit and have a Chemtrol autofeeding chlorine and muriatic acid into our 100 year old pool in the basement of a school.
The chlorine test color matches perfectly for 1-2 ppm, the minimum required according to the local health department and the PH is a yellow that is brighter than what's on the test kit.
This is confusing because the Chemtrol machine says 7.6 for PH but the chemical test is not agreeing with that number.
Here are the pool numbers: CYA - 0 / TA - 20 ppm / Chlorine 350 ppm / PH odd yellow not on chart so guessing low 7's range / Free Chlorine 1-2 ppm / Total Chlorine 2-4 ppm
Any help is appreciated.

Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12000 gallons vinyl liner,

Re: PH is different yellow from Taylor charts

Postby Teapot1 » Thu 02 Feb, 2023 11:41

PH is usually tested with phenol red, clue in the name. Are you sure someone hasnt got something mixed up? Chlorine 350ppm is 348ppm too high. TA should be a bit higher or you could damage/erode the surface.
I may not give you the answer you want to hear, but I will give an honest opinion of your situation as you decribe it.

Return to “pH & Total Alkalinity”