purple color in pool

Problems relating to pH and total alkalinity.
Increase ph, increase TA. Reduce pH, reduce TA.
pH chemistry advice and techniques for the pool.
jjcjr174

purple color in pool

Postby jjcjr174 » Sun 28 Oct, 2007 21:05

I have an inground pool in the house. I run a dectron air system with it. The pool is heated with a boiler and the dectron unit. I have been getting a purple substance that lays on the stairs and builds up at the waters edge. Everything that is white plastic is now a nice purple, it can be scrubed off but I don't know what it is. I asked the 2 local pool guys, they didn't know. It went away for a while and lately has started back up. I affraid it may have something to do with the chemicals and the copper piping in the system, not sure. does anyone know anything about this?

mr_clean
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby mr_clean » Tue 30 Oct, 2007 21:15

I have an inground pool in the house. I run a dectron air system with it. The pool is heated with a boiler and the dectron unit. I have been getting a purple substance that lays on the stairs and builds up at the waters edge. Everything that is white plastic is now a nice purple, it can be scrubed off but I don't know what it is. I asked the 2 local pool guys, they didn't know. It went away for a while and lately has started back up. I affraid it may have something to do with the chemicals and the copper piping in the system, not sure. does anyone know anything about this?

When CYA which is also called conditioner or stabiliser reaches to high of level you can get a purple residue on walls/floor.
Have you checked chemical levels?
you can take a sample to pool store & they can check chemical levels for free.

What do you use for chlorine?
If you use chlorine tabs these have CYA in them, so if CYA was added already to pool they can make level go to high over a period of time.

or only using tabs but way to many.

the only way to lower CYA in pool would be to empty out some water and replace until level is 50-70.

Return to “pH & Total Alkalinity”