High PH High Alkaline When Treating How Long Before.........

Problems relating to pH and total alkalinity.
Increase ph, increase TA. Reduce pH, reduce TA.
pH chemistry advice and techniques for the pool.
ItsAbbysMommy

High PH High Alkaline When Treating How Long Before.........

Postby ItsAbbysMommy » Wed 21 May, 2008 21:18

My PH is at 8.0
My Alkaline is off of my color tab (about 200 plus)
Chlorine 0

I only have a 12ft diameter 1700 gal above ground vin. pool with a pump/filter for my kids. We set it up about 1.5 weeks ago.

I bought pool shock (I was told too) and I put it in 4 days ago. I took the reading the next day and those were my results above.

Today we went and bought different shock (I dont really know if that is what I need) and PH reducer. The PH reducer said 6oz per 10,000 gallons of pool water so I threw in about 2.5 tbl spoons and will test it again tomorrow.

What do I need to do, should I use the Shock still after I get the PH down? Should I buy Chlorine seperately or is it in the Shock? Im confused after such high readings with a 0 reading on the chlorine.

AND: How long after adding the PH reducer before it is SAFE for the kids to go in and swim. I know my 3 year old daughter will want desperately to swim tomorrow but I don't want her to get hurt, either by the chemicals or the high Alkaline or PH.

I am easily confused when it comes to this stuff so I need lamens terms please :wink:

Thank you for your help,

Christine :D

muss08
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby muss08 » Wed 21 May, 2008 22:55

First how are you testing your water? Your best investment is a good reliable test kit. I use the Taylor K 2006. Shock is in fact chlorine. How is your water clarity? Chances are the chlorine is being used up very quickly because it is killing organic debris. Its hard to say when it is safe to swim as you need more accurate test results. Once the pH is 7.2-7.6 and your FC is at a good level then it is safe. To know what a good FC (free chlorine) level is I need to know what your CYA (cyanuric acid) level is. This is where the importance of a good test kit comes into play. To lower the pH and TA use muriatic acid (available at home depot or lowes or most hardware stores). Post another set of readings and I'll be able to tell you how much to add.
APSP Certified Service Pro
Jandy Tech School
Pentair Tech Training
Raypak Heater School
5 yrs experience
ItsAbbysMommy

Thank You

Postby ItsAbbysMommy » Thu 22 May, 2008 12:53

Thanks! I will go and pick one up ASAP and post the new results. I was using test strips that only read chlorine, PH and Alkaline. I dont know much about pools but dont want my kids to get hurt.

Also the water is VERY cloudy.

Thanks!

Christine

Return to “pH & Total Alkalinity”